Author Topic: Heart surgery  (Read 544 times)

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
Heart surgery
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:02:34 pm »
Well, I've talked about it before but never did anything and now the bill has come due. I have been needing to lose weight, exercise more and quit smoking but never did much about it. So now I have to have a bypass done to my left anterior descending coronary artery due to it being 100% blocked and with a calcium cap. Monday I complete the preliminary testing to see if I will survive surgery so that should be exciting and then Wednesday I'll see the surgeon and maybe set a date. We'll set a date for after Jan 1,  but I really don't want to. Don't worry, I'll set a date, I just don't want too. This sounds scary and not fun. I'll have the same surgeon who did my mom's quadruple bypass last year and she's doing fine. Overall, I feel fine. I'm not having any major issues so I'm hoping that means this should go smoothly as it can. I hope.

My family thinks I'm surprisingly at ease, but I am scared. I just won't admit it. Guess that manly man attitude of keeping it bottled up is still a problem. But, then again, maybe I'm not panicked because it will be done, I'm not stressing over it (avoiding making it worse), and surgery is much better than the alternative.

I just needed a minute to admit I'm scared. Now I can get on with everything. Thanks for listening.

Online Maid Marion

Re: Heart surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 11:09:30 pm »
Hi Anastasia,

Good luck with the surgery!

Marion

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 11:10:48 pm »
@Anastasia
Dear Anastasia:
Please know that I will be praying and trusting that you will have a successful surgical procedure.
I will be looking for your updates as your surgery consultation date and surgery date approaches.
HUGS and more HUGS   .... stay healthy and stay safe.,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 01:33:35 am »
I had my consultation today and January 7th is the day. I really don't want to do this, but I know I have too. THIS is when adulting is hard to do, lol. According to my tests, I am a good candidate to survive surgery with only a 2% chance of dying. Never had a 2% chance of failure loom so large. But it is better than my chances with a heart attack, so there is that. The surgeon told me to plan on 12 weeks before returning to work due to my workload, so I guess I will have plenty of time to build my ultimate minecraft build, or maybe I will tame all the dinos of Ark. I am as relaxed about it as I can be, I'm not going to stress out about it. They offered January 3rd, but that was too soon. That schedule will be written next week and, well, that was just too fast for me to deal with. Time to get the house ready since I will be house bound for a few weeks. The next couple of weeks just became very busy. The only "good" news is that the surgeon rated my lung tests as good for my age, good thing I didn't smoke. He was surprised when I told him I did. I won't after surgery.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »
@Anastasia
Dear Anastasia:
I am so very glad that you surgery consultation went well for you ... and now you have your surgery scheduled in the new year on January 7th.

ahhhh.... yes indeed, kick the smoking habit now, don't wait till after your surgery.

Please keep your thread updated as you feel comfortable doing.

HUGS and best wishes to you.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 02:38:34 pm »
Well, I survived. Spent 10 days in ICU being ventilated, discharged on the 26th,  and have weeks of rehab ahead of me as I learn to walk again and regain endurance. Guess I fell into that 1% of the population that doesn't recover from anesthesia. The intended surgery went great. My heart is in great shape now and the dr is pleased with how far how fast my rehab is moving. Can't hold a coherent conversation over 5 minutes yet, but now its because I get distracted instead of lost in the conversation. But, everything will be OK. I haven't hit any walls yet and I feel as if I only need time (and effort) to continue recovery. Amazing how in 10 days I have lost the ability to do so much. My first big recovery step was getting my hand up to my face to scratch an itch. Took 2 hours and I was exhausted.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:47:55 pm »
@Anastasia
Dear Anastasia:
I am so very glad that you came back to your thread to update me and the rest of your avid followers.

I am so glad that your surgery went well.... now that is done, the recovery is the harder part, it just takes time, rest and the required rehab and physical therapy to get your body back to a functioning state.

Per your previous postings you mentioned that you were going to kick your smoking habit.... and you had told your surgeon that you did.   You had also stated "I won't after surgery"   Hold yourself to that promise.   You don't want to compromise your health and your heart surgery results by smoking again!!!

Please continue keep your thread updated as you feel comfortable doing.
I am always eager to read your postings and updates as you continue in your journey.
Stay healthy and stay safe!!!

HUGS, and as always, best wishes to you.   :icon_flower: :icon_bunch: :icon_flower:
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Tags: