Author Topic: Transitioning in professional life  (Read 862 times)

Offline Faraday

• Visitor
Transitioning in professional life
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:43:08 am »
I am starting the transition process just now, in middle age. I am looking for advice for anyone in a similar situation on how to preserve professional continuity in the face of changing especially one's name.  All my academic degrees and transcripts are in my original name, plus publications, a couple of patents, etc.  Current colleagues and collaborators will be aware, but, for instance, if I should apply for a different job and most of my credentials are under a different name?  Has anyone faced this?  I have even wondered if my new name should at least have the same initials as my original name, since journal citations are often of the form. M. J. Smith, so if Mary Jane becomes Mark Joseph, that at least stays the same.

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
Re: Transitioning in professional life
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 03:43:09 am »
I think this problem is not just confined to transgender people. As I know, in most of western countries, women change their family name after marriage. Here in S. Korea, women keep their family name even after marriage. This difference makes me wonder how professional women deal with such changes in their last name in publication.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 05:03:50 am »
Most professional women use their legal name at the time the degree or other credential is achieved. Having said that, people change their names all the time. It is expected, especially for women. Just do what you feel is necessary.

I have changed all the documents that I am currently using. I do not feel any need to change everything. If something comes up in the future, then I will just add my name change court order to the documents that establish that particular item.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandiL

• Call me Rayna. Formerly Randi
  • On the way
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 11:47:39 pm »
A friend is a physician's assistant. She can't go back and change her credentials, so she just includes the name change order with the packet, as Rakel says. Of course, this outs her as trans. She lost a job offer, with a Catholic hospital, as a result.

My smartphone thinks it's smarter than me. It's probably right.

Forging my new, best life as Rayna

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Faraday

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 11:27:43 am »
A friend is a physician's assistant. She can't go back and change her credentials, so she just includes the name change order with the packet, as Rakel says. Of course, this outs her as trans. She lost a job offer, with a Catholic hospital, as a result.
Your reply addresses something implicit in my question that I should have highlighted.  Explaining a name change will basically out you to colleagues or HR people.  The work world is familiar with usually women changing their name after marriage or even divorce and judges that far less harshly.  In my profession, publication history is an important consideration, so keeping the same initials can reduce the chance of being outed when providing a resume or professional bio.  Any significant digging will turn up the change, obviously, so I'm trying to weigh how significant a benefit this would be.  Also to see if there are any other things to consider when trying to balance maintaining professional continuity without being outed.  Perhaps that cannot be done, and being out is unavoidable.

Tags: