Author Topic: Free HRT for the rest of my life  (Read 632 times)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Free HRT for the rest of my life
« on: January 08, 2022, 02:10:19 am »
So here in the UK I am now exempt from paying for prescriptions.

Ah, the magic of turning 60.  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
Re: Free HRT for the rest of my life
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 03:10:44 am »
Congratulations Devlyn. It is a wonderful position to be in (I am 66)! Free HRT and other Medications and free Blood Tests!

Wishing you a wonderful day.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Margrit

• Housewife
  • I love to run a proper and clean household.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 03:11:52 am »
:) Congratulations :) 

Free HRT sounds amazing!
If a man can make you smile,
even if you don't want to,
then you love him.

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 03:17:55 am »
I am so so pleased for you Devlyn, we all should not be paying for our meds after the age of 60 here in the UK it is generically one of the good parts of the NHS, but sadly as I mentioned in an earlier thread this is not always the case. If you have not gone through the NHS hoops and barriers that could take up to 20 years if you started today then you have to go private and pay. Myself at 69 is still paying and could be for the rest of my life. In fact I found this thread as I was going to post another about effects of a short break in meds.

Again I am so pleased

Jessica xxx

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 04:16:28 am »
Thanks ladies!  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 08:18:58 am »
I just wish to point out for the sake of UK Members and to avoid any possible confusion that although I do not pay for my HRT or any other Medication or for my Blood Tests which ARE free under my NHSGP (but are NOT free under Jessica's NHSGP as different NHSGPs here in UK follow different practices/policies and are NOT consistent). Like Jessica I do pay a monthly subscription for Authorisation of Prescription and Hormone Monitoring and Targeting - I pay mine to GenderGP.

Jessica opened a very worthwhile thread on Transgender Talk Board in December "Is My Maths Wrong" and several UK Members explained their position on paying or not for HRT and Blood Tests. In my experience, most UK Members do NOT wait to obtain HRT under NHS GIC but obtain it privately by subscription until either NHS GIC or their own NHSGP agrees to take over completely. Before either of these events happen, the system in my first para above applies. I pay subscription only,  but Jessica and some other Members sadly have to pay more.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:49:56 am »
Is estradiol expensive in the UK? 
Generic estradiol pills are not expensive in the USA, even without using any third party payers.
Perhaps injections are more expensive than pills?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:14:27 am »
Dear Chrissy

I know from many posts that you are interested in trans matters in UK aswell as in US. I remember letting you know a couple of years ago that in UK we now usually say "Pharmacist" as in US but last century we used "Chemist" as you'll recall!

You may find it helpful to read the thread "Is my Maths Wrong?" from Jessica in December on Transgender Talk Board and make a comment there also if you wish.

In terms of your question above, most UK Members are prescribed E Patches or E Gel ( I have been on both) and they are not expensive.

My Finasteride and Progesterone (Utrogestan) both tablets are also not expensive. However I was from 2018 to 2020 on Decapeptyl/Triptorelin Injection as my Blocker which I understand was quite expensive. My educated guess would  be that E Injections or E Pellets would also be expensive. I think I may sometime in future consider E Injections or Pellets if available in UK as my last 2 E readings on my "Comparison" thread on HRT Board have unfortunately been poor.

Sending love to you.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 09:29:13 am »
Generic estradiol pills are not expensive in the USA, even without using any third party payers.

Chrissy

I'm on tablets, which I take sublingually. My prescription did cost £9.50 per month, which is the standard price for prescriptions with the NHS. I think that the price is constant whatever your prescription is for.

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Chloe

• Family
  • Classic 'Lauren Bacall'
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:40 am »
         Tabs are 'free' here too, insurance actually called to get me switched, BUT doc doesn't prescribe them to anyone "over 60", gp & 'all-of-that"! While IM's are Tier 4 and come with a huge annual deductable (lol cheep policy) BONUS is they also gave me a monthly $50 rebate against standard U.S. Medicare charge so come out ahead again @ $114/5mL vial,  which last over 2 months!

Have yet to get a bill/pay a dime for testing . . . doc is listed as 'Primary Care'!

Mail order 90-day supply of Progesterone is inexpensive, look forward to that, NP appointment is this Friday so we shall see! (Estradiol, after 30-day E1 Estrone 'detox', is finally DOWN to 87pg/mL  Yea! ;) )
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"

( Current read: 'My Story" by Caroline 'Tula' Cossy )

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 11:14:45 am »
I'm on tablets, which I take sublingually. My prescription did cost £9.50 per month, which is the standard price for prescriptions with the NHS. I think that the price is constant whatever your prescription is for.

Hugs, Devlyn

You sure do not look like 60 or older @Devlyn

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 11:16:07 am »
Dear Chrissy

I know from many posts that you are interested in trans matters in UK aswell as in US. I remember letting you know a couple of years ago that in UK we now usually say "Pharmacist" as in US but last century we used "Chemist" as you'll recall!

You may find it helpful to read the thread "Is my Maths Wrong?" from Jessica in December on Transgender Talk Board and make a comment there also if you wish.

In terms of your question above, most UK Members are prescribed E Patches or E Gel ( I have been on both) and they are not expensive.

My Finasteride and Progesterone (Utrogestan) both tablets are also not expensive. However I was from 2018 to 2020 on Decapeptyl/Triptorelin Injection as my Blocker which I understand was quite expensive. My educated guess would  be that E Injections or E Pellets would also be expensive. I think I may sometime in future consider E Injections or Pellets if available in UK as my last 2 E readings on my "Comparison" thread on HRT Board have unfortunately been poor.

Sending love to you.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Hello again @Pamelatransuk

It is always nice to hear from you.

Hugs,

Chrissy

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 02:59:14 pm »

Chrissy

Obviously I am not permitted to give you my dosage or previous dosages but I can confirm that I was prescribed Evorel  E Patches and am now prescribed Sandrena E Gel.

Although I do not pay, the former costs £15 for 8 x 25mcg patches and the latter costs £30 for box of 28 x 0.5mg sachets.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Online davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 04:00:10 pm »
As Pam said I went Gender GP to start with and paid them a fee but meds were free from my GP as over 60 and now all free as have been under GIC for ages
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Tags: