Author Topic: HRT from NHS GIC  (Read 343 times)

Online pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
HRT from NHS GIC
« on: January 15, 2022, 03:37:17 am »
Hello Everyone

Now of course we have had recent threads on NHS GIC Waiting Times and GRS via NHS GIC.

Also it is now customary for probably the majority of UK Members to start HRT privately before they can obtain from NHS GIC (if they wish).

I secured my HRT privately and my GRS MDV privately and will soon be having BA privately.

I am happy with GenderGP who authorise my HRT Prescriptions and Reviews. I do not pay for my HRT or Blood Tests which my NHSGP permits under NHS. However to avoid paying Subscription to GenderGP forever, I am considering getting on the long list at GICs JUST FOR  HRT or transferring full control directly from GenderGP to NHSGP which is most unlikely.

Therefore I would be grateful to know from those UK Members under NHS GIC control, the following please:

1. Having been on private HRT, does GIC ignore your previous HRT history and method of administration and dosage and start afresh OR do GIC take it into account and build on it presumably remaining on same method and similar dosage please?

2. Does GIC immediately set your E and T targets and amend subsequently?

3. Does GIC start (or in many cases like mine) continue with Progesterone?

4. After being on HRT for significant time (I am 4 years HRT and post op), will GIC authorise E Injections and if so, are they administered by GIC or by NHSGP (or her/his Nurse) please or after some practice by Patient please?

5. After being on HRT for significant time, will GIC consider request for E  Pellets and if so, who inserts them please? Do Pellets last 3 months or perhaps 6 months and are they safe for most patients please?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Kalandrina

Re: HRT from NHS GIC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 06:04:09 am »
Hi Pam

I have been one of the very lucky ones and was asked by the newly formed Mersey Gender Clinic CMagic to join their NHS trial. I had been on the GIC list for just under 2years and was based within their area which is Merseyside, Manchester and Cheshire, so they approached me to join them. As they are NHS based i had a meeting with them to discuss where i was and how i was, then 4 weeks later a meeting with another doctor to work out what prescriptions i was on and my levels and to discuss what medications to move forward with. From here they have issued me with prescriptions on NHS every 3 months, and also liase with my GP to do my bloods. Now they are looking to see if my GP will take over my prescriptions as well. They will continue to monitor my bloods and advise my GP on the next course of action.
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It's my life

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:08:41 am »
Hi Pamela, I cannot answer with any certainty the questions you pose.. as you know, I get my HRT privately too..

However, I am led to believe that once you obtain your GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) that the NHS has a duty of care to provide the medication you need as a female.. Which would include HRT for anyone without functioning ovaries.

I have a meeting with the NHS endocrine on the 3rd of Feb (they who denied me HRT, after starting me on it for medical reasons before I changed my legal gender - which in itself was shocking) and will be asking this very question.

I am basing this on the legal requirment mandated within the The Equality Act 2010 which prohibits discrimination, for example in employment or the provision of public services, on the basis of protected characteristics, one of which is gender reassignment. However, this Act allows providers to offer single-sex services that exclude transgender people if it is “a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim”.

Be interesting to know if anyone has pushed this..

but as far as I am aware, after GRS, the GIC's endocrine services pass you back to the normal NHS services.. and so, for people who went privately this should be the same???

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Online pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:10:20 am »
Hi Pam

I have been one of the very lucky ones and was asked by the newly formed Mersey Gender Clinic CMagic to join their NHS trial. I had been on the GIC list for just under 2years and was based within their area which is Merseyside, Manchester and Cheshire, so they approached me to join them. As they are NHS based i had a meeting with them to discuss where i was and how i was, then 4 weeks later a meeting with another doctor to work out what prescriptions i was on and my levels and to discuss what medications to move forward with. From here they have issued me with prescriptions on NHS every 3 months, and also liase with my GP to do my bloods. Now they are looking to see if my GP will take over my prescriptions as well. They will continue to monitor my bloods and advise my GP on the next course of action.

Thank you Kally for all the helpful information you have provided.

I hope that if it is your desire, your GP will in due course take full control. Obviously you and I and so many in UK, have encountered substantially different procedures (including sadly, complete refusal or lack of cooperation) at some NHSGPs. I think the long term aim is for NHSGPs to take full control when they are prepared/trained/confident to do so but I fear we shall have to wait years till all are on board! Perhaps in the short or medium term, we must select our NHSGP and their Practice with caution and care.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 08:38:17 am »
Hi Pamela, I cannot answer with any certainty the questions you pose.. as you know, I get my HRT privately too..

However, I am led to believe that once you obtain your GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) that the NHS has a duty of care to provide the medication you need as a female.. Which would include HRT for anyone without functioning ovaries.

I have a meeting with the NHS endocrine on the 3rd of Feb (they who denied me HRT, after starting me on it for medical reasons before I changed my legal gender - which in itself was shocking) and will be asking this very question.

I am basing this on the legal requirment mandated within the The Equality Act 2010 which prohibits discrimination, for example in employment or the provision of public services, on the basis of protected characteristics, one of which is gender reassignment. However, this Act allows providers to offer single-sex services that exclude transgender people if it is “a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim”.

Be interesting to know if anyone has pushed this..

but as far as I am aware, after GRS, the GIC's endocrine services pass you back to the normal NHS services.. and so, for people who went privately this should be the same???

Thank you Sarah for all this relevant information you have provided.

Perhaps you could let me know (either on this thread or by PM if you prefer) the agreed or intended course of action pursuant to your meeting with NHS Endocrine on February 3rd please. I truly hope it proves successful to achieve your aims and mine! That being said, my point to Kally still applies - reluctance at present by NHSGPs to take full control but perhaps the intention is for them TO BE PUSHED and that would be beneficial to us providing they gain the necessary knowledge by then.

Thank you also for pointing out the GRC route as it effects NHS system including as you say post op GRC Private Patients.

Truly grateful Sarah. This gives me and presumably you, hope!

Now we and others will have 3 potential options to take to secure ultimately full NHSGP HRT control:
1. Register at NHS GIC and wait years and hope they eventually agree to give previous Private Patients ALL FREE under NHS or

2. NHS to PUSH or at least to persuade NHSGPs accordingly or

3. The GRC route.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 10:23:43 am »
As you know I went joint HRT with Gender GP and my own GP , Gender GP controlling the dose but GP doing bloods. As soon as I had first appointment with GIC they took over dose increasing it to give me the transitioning level (600-700) . Now I have been discharged from GIC it looks like its down to my GP ,waiting for first level post op.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 12:48:50 pm »
As you know I went joint HRT with Gender GP and my own GP , Gender GP controlling the dose but GP doing bloods. As soon as I had first appointment with GIC they took over dose increasing it to give me the transitioning level (600-700) . Now I have been discharged from GIC it looks like its down to my GP ,waiting for first level post op.

Thank you Davina for this information and confirming your Discharge from NHS GIC.

I truly hope your NHSGP accepts full HRT control and that your first post op E result is good.

Your situation agrees with Sarah's point above that NHS GIC does not retain HRT control of post op patients.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline ronniekylie90

• Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 02:22:22 am »
I don't think Injections are available in Europe, certainly not in the UK, I've asked over and over but they are banned, sadly.

I have opted for patches as I am generally so bad with pills.

anyway, let us know how you get on!

I am still waiting for my GP to be able to prescribe the hormones to me (he did promise me he would but he's taking AGES but ANYWAY), atm I am still getting a private prescription, which is sort of annoying.

Offline ronniekylie90

• Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:45 am »
I did get on the list for NHS GIC (in agreement with my GP) just for HRT, as I don't want to pay for hormones etc for life (I am only 30 so...)
If GP can take over now that you have your main op done, even better, my only recommendation would be... just make sure your GP does his research as sometimes they have no clue when it comes to trans issues etc.

I did send my hormonal levels to him, as required cos he wanted to discuss with GIC doctors etc, but this shows that a lot obviously aren't trained for trans issues like a gender doctor would be.

also, yes we are women, but also we are a special kind that needs special attention on certain areas, I guess.

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 03:44:37 am »
Thank you Ronnie.

I agree and appreciate your advice concerning many NHSGPs being unfamiliar with HRT monitoring and trans issues.

Hope all goes to plan for full HRT control under your NHSGP.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 04:26:20 pm »
Hello again Everyone

I was wondering and hoping if the intended policy of reversion of HRT control from NHS GIC to NHSGPs after GRS, may also apply to Electrolysis or Laser. I refer NOT to pubic hair but to general Body Hair Removal.

I had a small amount of Laser in 2018 and have never needed more.

However after 4 years HRT and more than 3 years with breaks of Electrolysis on my face, I suspect after the customary regrowth, to require further intermittent Electrolysis. Now I know NHS GIC have a budget for Body Hair Removal; therefore surely many of us after GRS may still require Electrolysis. Small budget for NHSGPs, perhaps? Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps?

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 04:48:06 pm »
As far as I am aware (I don't definitively know).. but removal of hair on the NHS is only for areas required for GRS and nothing more..
I am pretty certain this is the case in Wales and would of thought it was the same in England too?
I really hope I have been misinformed, because I would love to have a little laser on my body in some areas..

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 06:11:11 pm »
Thank you Sarah.

Davina: As someone who has been offered Laser and/or Electrolysis while under NHS GIC, was the budget just for pubic hair or general BHR - Body Hair Removal please? Thanking you

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Kalandrina

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 04:39:54 am »
As soon as CMagic took me on as a patient mid 2021 they offered me Facial electrolysis or laser and Genital Electrolysis, also offered me voice training, They sent me NHS letters for a certain amount of funds to be used on each area that the therapist can claim off the NHS :) However they won't do body hair as that is considered less important, however i sourced 6 sessions of full body laser for around £700, that includes everything from the neck to the t6es.
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It's my life

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 08:21:25 am »
Thank you so much, Kally.

Nice to know there may be the possibility of future funding for Facial Electrolysis after GRS - I didn't really expect future funding for general BHR but Facial Electrolysis if granted would be helpful after the subsequent follicle regrowth. Let's hope we can ultimately secure it!

Hugs

Pamela xx

Online pamelatransuk

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:47:47 am »

Hello again Davina

I see (from my Comparison thread, thank you) that you have now had your first post op Blood Test.

So I assume that your NHSGP has now taken over from NHS GIC. Please let us know on this thread please what transpires. Willingly taken over? Knowledgeable about HRT? Able to adjust your Target Range? Future BTs quarterly or bi-annually or undecided?

Thanking you for any help you can provide.

Hugs

Pamela xx

ALL: THIS THREAD SHOULD BE READ IN CONJUNCTION WITH "GCS ON THE NHS" ON GCS BOARD PLEASE

Tags: