Community Conversation > Transsexual talk

what to do when you feel like giving up

(1/1)

noitsbecky:
My dream is to have GCS I fear ill never have enough money, support, or strength.  I know its not the end all be all.  But it's what I want most in life and I'm realizing it may never happen and I'm devastated

Rakel:
The most important thing I did was accept myself. This is necessary because when you accept yourself you are now free to be whatever you need to be. All the hinderances associated with transition become just one more obsticle to overcome. I know that this sounds too simplistic to be helpful, but this empowered me to be myself no matter what happens.

The next thing I did was make a plan. When financial obsticles seem to be a deal breaker, find a way around that. Many companies today offer transition services in their company sponsored health insurance. I know a few people who have done exactly that. They got a job at a good company specifically for the health insurance benefits. It worked for them. You can do the same.

When it comes to support, this is a really confusing situation. Some people will support us and some do not. I have found that the local trans groups are a wonderful way to do things together. Also, there are many other activities where everybody is acepted regardless of their medical history being public or not.

However, there are still some people who try to vilify others for any number of reasons. I just don't have time for them.

Allie Jayne:
I have a friend who has health issues and is on disability, and was disqualified from ever having surgeries as too high a risk. She went through years of depression, and was seeing a doctor about some test results, and the doctor said he could arrange through his university to get her surgery. She was completely stunned as she was sure it could not happen. Now, she still has to hit some health targets, so it's not a done deal, but it shows you can never say never. I had abandoned the chance to transition, let alone have surgery, and at 65 it became medically necessary for me to transition and have surgery due to extreme dysphoria. I never thought it would happen, and was committed to living my lie, but here I am. Strange things happen, so, never say never...

Hugs,

Allie

Maid Marion:
That is a very good idea.  Looking for jobs with insurance benefits that would allow for necessary surgeries.
Hospitals need support staff.  Some are even enlightened enough to realize that issues like autism may be a benefit for certain jobs.

Marion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version