General Discussions > Health

Advice Needed: Sleep Aids

(1/2) > >>

Brooke Renee:
Hello All,

I can usually fall asleep easily but I often have a hard time staying asleep.  I will wake up at 2 or 3 am to use the restroom and my brain will start thinking about random stuff and it will be hard to get back to sleep.  I'll eventually fall back asleep for an hour or so before I have to get up and start my day. 

I have been using melatonin and those sleep gummies.  They work pretty good but it seems like I have to take more and more to have the same effect.  I have used Benadryl, but gives me a hangover the next day. 

I don't drink alcohol, as a runner I get plenty of exercise, and I only drink one caffeinated beverage a day- my morning cup of coffee. 

What do you do? 

Sleepless in Seattle (literally), 

Brooke

Maid Marion:
It is a mental issue, not a physical one.  You need do something that will stop your mind from thinking about that random stuff.  Maybe something like playing Scrabble on the computer?  Or rearranging your panty drawer?

Think of your mind as a train on a circular track.  You need to change tracks to stop going in circles.

Brooke Renee:

--- Quote from: Maid Marion on February 07, 2022, 11:48:27 am ---It is a mental issue, not a physical one.  You need do something that will stop your mind from thinking about that random stuff.  Maybe something like playing Scrabble on the computer?  Or rearranging your panty drawer?

Think of your mind as a train on a circular track.  You need to change tracks to stop going in circles.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, that is great perspective and I certainly was not thinking in that direction. 

big kim:
i have insomnia. i take nytol, kalms, hayfever tablets, cocodamol, nightnurse and a few beers and a large JD, sometimes tramadol if in pain. this works good for me

Rakel:
As I grow older, I find that I need much less sleep than when I was younger. Recently, I find that 6 hours of sleep is plenty for me. Since I am retired , it really does not matter when I get my sleep and yes, sometimes I do wake up at night. We call this interupted sleep.

I handle my interupted sleep with spending a little while doing something quiet and calming. I usually can go back to sleep in an hour or so. I try to stay awake until midnite and then 6 hours of sleep is just fine for me.

I have been a practicing Pharmacist for over 40 years and I have an opinion about sleep aids. They are only safe to use for occasional sleep disorders. If you need a sleep aid every night, I recommend seeing a neurologist and having a sleep evaluation done. Some times there are physical reasons for waking up at night.

I strongly caution against using a sleep aid every night, especially the prescription sleep aids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version