News and Events > Political and Legal News

[UK] Leaked EHRC Guidance Reveals Plans to Exclude Most Trans People From Bathro

(1/1)

Asche:
Leaked EHRC Guidance Reveals Plans to Exclude Most Trans People From Bathrooms

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3ab5my/leaked-ehrc-guidance-trans-people-gender-recognition-certificates

Vice World News  by Ben Hunte, February 10, 2022

--- Quote ---Under unpublished guidance leaked to VICE World News, Britain’s equalities watchdog wanted to restrict the lives of trans people unless they held a Gender Recognition Certificate – despite only 1% of trans people in the UK having one.
According to the leaked EHRC [Equality and Human Rights Commission] guidance, a trans person should be barred from accessing spaces matching the gender they’re living as, unless they hold a GRC [Gender Recognition Certificate]. But official data estimates only 1 percent of trans people in the UK currently have one.

Baroness Kishwer Falkner, the chair of Britain’s equalities watchdog, wanted workplaces and businesses to “exclude trans people” from these spaces to “protect women’s rights”, VICE World News was told by ex-EHRC staff members.

--- End quote ---

The reason only 1% of trans people in the UK have a GRC is that it is apparently very difficult to get one.

(My impression is that institutional transphobia is a bigger problem in the UK than the US.)

Battle Goddess:
"Baroness Kishwer Falkner?"

That can't be a real person.

Jessica_K:

--- Quote from: Battle Goddess on February 17, 2022, 10:32:24 am ---"Baroness Kishwer Falkner?"

That can't be a real person.

--- End quote ---

I am sorry to say it is..And she has pretty much stopped the Scottish government from relaxing the Gender Recognition Certificate rules.

Things were going in the right direction until she became chair of the EHRC.

And currently it near impossible to get a GRC in England as it requires

From UK government website:

--- Quote ---you’ve been diagnosed with gender dysphoria (discomfort with your birth gender) - this is also called gender identity disorder, gender incongruence or <not allowed>
--- End quote ---

With the NHS acting as gate keepers this along can take over 6 years.
Not sure I can wait that long for a pee

Jessica xx

PS I apologise for the not allowed but left it in the quote to show how the UK government thinks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version