Community Conversation > Transitioning

Recommended Books and/or Articles to share with Friends, Family and Spouses?

(1/2) > >>

ImAllie:
Hey all -

One of the things I've been trying to do in anticipation of coming out to my family in a few months, is come up with maybe a few books, or some articles that  -- after I break the news -- I could give them to read on their own time. Things that might give them some real insight into all this.  Yes, from our perspective... but especially from THEIRS. I'm really interested in materials to give my wife, so things that would help a spouse.

Wondering if anyone has any articles and/or books they're especially fond of? Or ones that, their SO or family members found helpful during their transition?  Figure that if we compile a list here it might be of great general interest and help to a lot of folks.

Love,
Allie

Rakel:
I did read Christine Jorgenson's autobiography when I was in college. This was in the early 1970's and there was not much else about this subject. Christine did not mention much about her reasons for transition very much, as I remember. She just wrote that this is the way she is and how she went about having her surgeries done.

After reading her book, I found that any transition was a struggle too big for me to handle. I decided to not transition and man up, so to speak, instead. Later in life, my personal situation changed and so did the understanding of our condition. I found more information on line, especially here at Susan's Place. We have a Links page with lots of information there.

In my opinion, the internet resources, properly moderated and authenticated, can provide the most current ideas.  Just chose your sources carefully. There is a lot of nonsense out there.  :-X

ImAllie:

--- Quote from: Rakel on April 07, 2022, 05:58:11 am ---I did read Christine Jorgenson's autobiography when I was in college. This was in the early 1970's and there was not much else about this subject. Christine did not mention much about her reasons for transition very much, as I remember. She just wrote that this is the way she is and how she went about having her surgeries done.

After reading her book, I found that any transition was a struggle too big for me to handle. I decided to not transition and man up, so to speak, instead. Later in life, my personal situation changed and so did the understanding of our condition. I found more information on line, especially here at Susan's Place. We have a Links page with lots of information there.

In my opinion, the internet resources, properly moderated and authenticated, can provide the most current ideas.  Just chose your sources carefully. There is a lot of nonsense out there.  :-X

--- End quote ---

Thanks Rakel - and yes, while I agree there’s certainly content on the internet… its a rabbit hole… and it’s also a source to find anything you want to confirm ANYTHING you want.  And once you set someone loose on that, it’s left to luck.
My wife is a big reader, and I think she would take comfort in a published work.  I discussed this with my therapist and she thought it was a good idea too, and mentioned that some of the best stuff was a bit old so she was going to do some research herself… but I just thought I’d throw it out here too.  And then as I find things I can add to it.

By the way, articles from the internet are great, so if you (or others) are fans of any particular articles or online sources, those would be great! I just mean I’d probably download them or PDF them … just giving her a finite amount of material that she could read when she’s ready.

Support communities, be they online or in person, is another discussion and probably a next step after that.

Jessica_Rose:
Our therapist recommended several books, but so far Susan can only think of one that she felt contained a lot of good information. However, it was written in 2005 and some of the terms and reference material they use are outdated:

'True Selves' by Mildred L. Brown & Chloe Ann Rounsley

A current directory of terminology can be found here:
            https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Allie Jayne:
While there are many great papers available, they are almost all written for scientists and doctors, and are hard for lay people to read, let alone comprehend. People need different levels of information, but for people who are grappling with this for the first time, there is a pretty good 24 minute video on Youtube titled The Science of Being Transgender. There was also an excellent article from Harvard University which was written so everyone could understand, but it was misquoted a number of times by transphobes and was removed. My Ex found this article very helpful, but critically for her, a graphic that was used in the article to show the structural difference from birth. Yes, she left me, but we are still good friends, understanding why I was trans didn't help her not wanting her friends to think she might be gay.... Anyway, below is the graphic from Harvard if it helps you.

Hugs,

Allie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version