Author Topic: How significantly did FFS help your facial dysphoria?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
How significantly did FFS help your facial dysphoria?
« on: April 16, 2022, 05:18:50 pm »
I finally scheduled a consultation with a FFS surgeon, but the date is very far out (February), and the surgery itself is no doubt many months after that. My facial dysphoria legitimately makes me suicidal, and I was wondering how much your dysphoria actually improved after getting FFS. I'm so incredibly beyond exhausted dealing with this for most of my life, and questioning whether it's even worth sticking around for the surgery date. I'm just so tired.

Offline TXSara

• Family
Re: How significantly did FFS help your facial dysphoria?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 05:44:51 pm »
Madison --

My response is not exactly what you're looking for since I have not yet had FFS.  I have two consultations next month (Facial Team in Marbella, Spain and Sarah Saxon in Austin, TX).  I also have a consultation in July with Dr. Rolfes in Minnesota.

What I have gathered through all of my research to date is that FFS makes a huge difference for people who really need it.  I know... "like, duh.."  What I mean is that if you have a very prominent brow ridge and forehead like a billboard, FFS will do a lot for you.  If you are already "close" to passing, it is probably not going to move the needle as much.

For me, I'm sort of in between.  I don't have a really bad brow ridge, but I do have a very high and flat forehead.  I also have a very prominent chin.  I could probably do OK with just a full facelift as long as I also got a brow lift / lip lift.  I don't know what you look like and I don't know what are your main issues, so I really can't give you an opinion on how much FFS is going to make a difference for you.  Truthfully, I'm not sure ANYONE will be in a position to answer that question other than you yourself.

I'm surprised that you aren't able to get in for a consultation until February.  You must have chosen a very sought-after surgeon.  I talked to Keojampa's office a couple months ago, and their first consultation date was in late November.  They are currently scheduling surgeries a full year out.  His timeline didn't work for me, so I didn't bother.  I'm absolutely SURE you could get in to see someone before February.  I could have scheduled both of my May consultations earlier -- the dates in May were my choice.

I suggest you look around -- this is an extremely important decision, and you don't want to just have all your eggs in one basket.

Hope it helps!

~Sara

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 06:38:52 pm »
Yes, I chose Harrison Lee because I've heard he's one of the best. I really don't want to cheap out on this because it's my number 1 source of dysphoria. Also I'm getting forehead/browbone, orbital ridges, jaw/chin, and nose work (at least. Probably more).

What are some other good surgeons on the east coast that you'd recommend looking in to?

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Family
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 09:10:02 pm »
I can highly recommend my FFS surgeon. He is Dr Mardirossian in Jupiter, Florida.

I personally know several women who have gone to him for FFS. He has a great reputation here in south Florida. He trained under Dr Spiegel in Boston and Dr. M's results are similar, very natural looking, not at all like the overdone west coast look you may see from other surgeons.

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 02:50:21 am »
Is Harrison-Lee the guy who did Nikita Dragon?

Anyway, I am having my FFS next month, I am feeling pretty calm about it.

I actually don't have THAT much dysphoria around my face (nowhere close to my genitals) and I do see how even just hormones did such an amazing job in feminising my face. but I had a good base to begin with.

Now, I still want to get FFS done because I think I can improve and tweak a few things on my face and look more cis (I am a bit apprehensive on... what if I don't like the results and regret it but I think I picked the right surgeon in London). I'm having a light brow shave (people don't seem to know what I see but I kinda do in like specific lighting) with a little eyebrow lift while at it, and a rhinoplasty (but I understand its more cosmetic than gender related)

If this causes you massive dysphoria, definitely you have done the right thing to do it first.

Anyway, this is super exciting! may I ask, how much has ur surgeon quoted you?

Offline Mandy M

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 03:30:28 am »
I finally scheduled a consultation with a FFS surgeon, but the date is very far out (February), and the surgery itself is no doubt many months after that. My facial dysphoria legitimately makes me suicidal, and I was wondering how much your dysphoria actually improved after getting FFS. I'm so incredibly beyond exhausted dealing with this for most of my life, and questioning whether it's even worth sticking around for the surgery date. I'm just so tired.

Hi Madison,

First up, a big virtual hug.

Second, please please stay. Someone very close to me took their life and it was devastating for everyone. It rent others and myself apart. You are loved by people and even if you look in the mirror and think differently, you ARE a beautiful person.

Third (now I can take a breath), whilst I found the mechanics of FFS very gruelling it made a huge difference. Instead of looking at myself in photos and thinking, quite frankly, that I looked like a man in drag, I suddenly looked passably female. My confidence in myself as female massively increased, so my dysphoria dropped significantly.

Fourth, my one caveat to point 3 is that I do get really weary of society's obsession with how we look and the archetypes of male and female beauty. It's awful that we live in a society that thinks this way but you and I and all on here are not alone in this: look at the way youngsters have to gain likes on social media for the way they look. This is a battle we all face whatever our gender status.

I believe though that in the hands of a good surgeon you will be happy with the results.

xx

Offline Mandy M

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 03:34:04 am »
p.s. by the way, estrogen is also really important. For other reasons I had to stop my transitioning for three years and, wow, the difference in the way my face looked then to now is huge. Estrogen really does change our faces too.

xx

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 03:39:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies, all. HRT didn't actually change my face at all, which has been devastatingly depressing for me. I'm still in my 20s, so I was hoping it would have helped at least a little bit (I've been on them nearly 5 years now).

I haven't gotten a price quote from the surgeon yet (consultation in February), though I hear Lee is quite expensive. All worth it to me though, if he does a good job.

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 03:56:23 pm »
Madison --

I definitely don't want to push you into doing something you would rather not do, but I really think you should take the opportunity to discuss your situation with multiple surgeons.  I would hate for you to wait all the way until February, then just not "hit it off" with Dr. Lee.  Given that you are struggling so mightily, you might want to call Dr. Lee's office and ask how far in advance he is scheduling surgeries.  If he's anything like Keojampa, the earliest you'll be able to get on the table will be late 2023.  That was a non-starter for me.

If you see others ahead of Dr. Lee, you will (a) have a better idea of things to ask when you get in there, (b) have other options in case you don't like what he has to say, and (c) possibly get lucky and find someone that unexpectedly blows you away.  The cost / benefit is strongly in favor of getting more information here -- the consultations will range you between $0 and ~$300 per, and that's a drop in the bucket relative to what you'll be paying for the surgery.

~Sara

Offline Kalandrina

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 05:35:29 pm »
One option would be to chat with facial team in Europe, as they have great reviews and also work with the person who offers Virtual FFS, to give you an idea of how the changes they do would effect your face, also the fact that they are very reasonably priced
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
It's my life

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 06:13:12 pm »
One option would be to chat with facial team in Europe, as they have great reviews and also work with the person who offers Virtual FFS, to give you an idea of how the changes they do would effect your face, also the fact that they are very reasonably priced

Yes, Facial Team takes pride in not charging for consultations, and they are very accommodating.  You pay nothing to talk with them, so there is no risk there.  I am also getting Alexandra to do my virtual FFS analysis and photos prior to my consultations.  She is booked out pretty far in advance, so you should expect a couple month lag.  I contacted her in February, and I don't expect to receive anything from her until late April.

~Sara

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 08:12:34 pm »
I think this will echo some of what others have said - don't choose based on price alone. Your face may be one of the most important aspects of transitioning. If that is what causes most of your dysphoria, then it makes perfect sense to concentrate on that. Several members have suggested some great surgeons, they each have their own aesthetic. It is well worth spending time to check with as many as possible to find out what they can do for you. It is your face, you want the best you can afford, even if it stretches your budget.

All of my surgeries (except the trachea shave) were performed by Dr. Ley, who now works at the Gender Confirmation Center in San Francisco. My facial work included brow contouring, a scalp advance, lip implants, jaw contouring, a genioplasty (chin reduction), and a facelift. All of the work was spread over about three years. It wasn't until nearly a year after my last surgery that my mind finally adjusted. I no longer see the person I used to be, I only see Jessica. The person on the left looks like a vaguely familiar stranger now...

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 09:09:20 pm »
Thanks all~

I wasn't aware Facial Team did free consultations. They offer them over Skype? In that case I'll absolutely book one at least to hear what they have to say.

Offline Mandy M

• Friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 02:59:53 am »
Thanks for the replies, all. HRT didn't actually change my face at all, which has been devastatingly depressing for me. I'm still in my 20s, so I was hoping it would have helped at least a little bit (I've been on them nearly 5 years now).

I haven't gotten a price quote from the surgeon yet (consultation in February), though I hear Lee is quite expensive. All worth it to me though, if he does a good job.

I'm really sorry to hear that the estrogen hasn't made any changes that you can see. I still think over time that it does change facial characteristics compared to how you would be if you were living a T-fuelled life.

However, I hear you and for you it's clear that facial surgery is going to make a massive difference to your self-confidence in your appearance. I really hope you can get a consultation on this FFS.

The only final comment was one my trans psychotherapist said to me, which with hindsight amused me: 'just remember, after surgery you're not going to look like Selena Gomez at the end of it, except maybe to yourself'.

I really want you to be able to see the beautiful person you are, that you will blossom.

xx

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 12:42:49 am »
I'm still really skeptical that FFS is not going to help and I'm feeling very depressed again :(

What if the problem isn't a bone problem but a soft-tissue problem? I have no idea how I'd correct that, because hormones have been such a major fail in that regard.

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 02:49:00 pm »
usually it's both, you need to correct bone and also some fat. but overall, if you have a very masculine face, maybe the result will be not as outstanding as people who already have a naturally feminine face.
as obviously it makes sense

Tags: