Author Topic: HRT Shortage in UK  (Read 4029 times)

Offline pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
HRT Shortage in UK
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:05:55 am »
Hello again UK Members

I'm sure most of you are aware of the present HRT shortage in UK.

Obviously we are not permitted to discuss dosages taken or amounts supplied by pharmacists to us but we may refer to percentages and of course to method of administration  - Tablets or Patches or Gel etc.

I would be interested to know how serious (if at all) the problem is in your area of UK please. No need to be more specific than City/Town/County in which you reside or if you prefer please just state England or Wales or Scotland or N Ireland.

I live in Liverpool and pick up my supply every 4 weeks. There has been no problem with my Progesterone (Utrogestan).

However there has been and still is with my Sandrena E Gel.
On April 8th my pharmacist provided 72% of my E Gel and the remainder a week later and that is acceptable to me.
On May 6th my pharmacist provided 64% of my E Gel and nothing since as I revisited them today. I also asked (if my doctor and I were to consider reverting to Evorel E Patches which I was prescribed 2 years ago although I prefer Sandrena E Gel) was there a similar shortage with E Patches and was informed same shortage and delay.

Are you also experiencing a shortage and delay for HRT and if so, how significant a shortage for you and for your geographical location please? Thanking you.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: HRT Shortage in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 10:10:36 am »
Two months ago I had a few weeks delay on my estradiol valerate tablets. This month they came the same week I ordered them. Location is Biggleswade.
Veteran, US Army

Offline big kim

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 03:18:43 am »
I live in Thornton, Lancashire, no problems getting Zumenon. Just got my 3 month supply on Tuesday

Online Kalandrina

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 05:08:49 am »
Cheshire,

I am on Oestrogel, first prescription in Feb no bottles, back order 2 arrived a month later, and still owed 3
2nd prescription in May different pharmacy had 1 bottle, now owed 5 from them.

I am starting to get worried but i have enough for a while.
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It's my life

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 07:34:16 am »
Oestrogel seems to be the one that is in very short supply. There are a number of reasons for this that are both political and socio-economic.. that I will not go into here. Other supply issues seems to be (and this is my own inference) other patients switching and the levels not being held in the system to accommodate this sudden rise.

I get my Oestrogel to last for 60 days... I ordered it at the end of Feb (just before surgery) and it took 4 weeks for the pharmacist to suppply... I again ordered at the start of May and it has only just arrived (3 weeks)... on placing this repeat prescription my pharmacist advised me to talk to my doctor for alternatives as he can see no resolution to the current issues....  I really do not want to change to anything else, as this treatment suits me and I am well on it.

I am in North-East Wales/Chester region.
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline pamelatransuk

• Started taking action after decades of suppression in 2017. Finally secured my true female body by GRS in 2021.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 07:49:42 am »
Thank you ladies for the responses received so far.

This is just beginning to worry me but OTOH I recall a UK HRT shortage 3 years ago which was fortunately over 3 or 4 months later.

Clearly one advantage which I assume is customary if your prescription is authorised by NHS GIC or C Magic (the latter covers my location but at present I am still under GenderGP), is to be prescribed 12 weeks supply instead of the usual 4 weeks supply by NHSGPs.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 09:49:42 am »
No problem with my patches last week ,4 week supply so will see what happens in a few weeks time.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline SarahEL

• Family
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 12:21:34 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61527680

Women's health minister Maria Caulfield said manufacturers had told the government that by June "they should be in a better position [on supplies]".

should soon be in the past I think....

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 01:52:14 pm »
Thank you so much Sarah for this latest piece of news.

I'm sure we all truly hope the BBC and its sources prove to be correct in their prediction on HRT supplies and in the meantime on the availability of other HRT products we may access, as most necessary and vital to us as transwomen aswell to menopausal ciswomen.

Hugs

Pamela  xx

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 05:37:31 pm »
Davina

Glad to hear shortage has not affected you and hoping that position remains.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 10:01:32 am »
Hello again UK Members

I'm sure most of you are aware of the present HRT shortage in UK.

Obviously we are not permitted to discuss dosages taken or amounts supplied by pharmacists to us but we may refer to percentages and of course to method of administration  - Tablets or Patches or Gel etc.

I would be interested to know how serious (if at all) the problem is in your area of UK please. No need to be more specific than City/Town/County in which you reside or if you prefer please just state England or Wales or Scotland or N Ireland.

I live in Liverpool and pick up my supply every 4 weeks. There has been no problem with my Progesterone (Utrogestan).

However there has been and still is with my Sandrena E Gel.
On April 8th my pharmacist provided 72% of my E Gel and the remainder a week later and that is acceptable to me.
On May 6th my pharmacist provided 64% of my E Gel and nothing since as I revisited them today. I also asked (if my doctor and I were to consider reverting to Evorel E Patches which I was prescribed 2 years ago although I prefer Sandrena E Gel) was there a similar shortage with E Patches and was informed same shortage and delay.

Are you also experiencing a shortage and delay for HRT and if so, how significant a shortage for you and for your geographical location please? Thanking you.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Hello again

How are you managing with this problem (if it applies) in your area of the country please?

Further to my post above, I have received no more in respect of my prescription collected May 6th meaning 36% still outstanding.

As usual I received my other medical items today June 1st but "nil" for Sandrena E Gel meaning 100% outstanding.

I use Boots a well known national Pharmacy here in UK. No fault of Boots but I'm finding this news most disconcerting.

Is it the same for you other ladies please? Deteriorating as it now is for me in NW or no change or any improvement perhaps? Thanks

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline davina61

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 11:41:43 am »
Will let you know next week, ordered some yesterday. Thought I had better be early due to Bank hols.

I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 05:27:33 pm »
Thank you Davina. Good luck to you and to all UK Members obtaining their HRT this week and this month.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Mandy M

• Friend
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 10:16:20 am »
Hi Pamela,

I've not had a problem with Sandrena gel in Devon.

xx

p.s. going to PM you

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 10:39:22 am »
When there is a shortage in the U.K., does the price go up or do you simply have a tougher time getting the medicine, or both?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline SarahEL

• Family
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 12:18:43 am »
Chrissy, our health care in the UK is free at the point of need.. that means that we pay the same amount (most pay nothing) regardless of what drug or treatment we receive... It is the beauty of a national health service.

The shortage is the result of a lot of complicated factors but it does seem as if things are getting a bit better.

Offline davina61

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 03:33:01 am »
No problem getting my patches apart from they were delayed due to the bank hols , walking to chemist this morning to collect as due on this morning.

Online Kalandrina

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2022, 04:47:31 am »
Patches aren't a problem they seem to have a good supply everywhere of those. Its the Gel's that are hard to get, Sandrena seems to have a good supply, but the Pump Gel is like gold dust. However most chemists and GP's are swapping people to patches it seems, unless like me you have issues with them.
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
(It's my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It's my life

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2022, 07:49:07 am »
Kally

I am not yet seeing any improvement on Sandrena E Gel Sachets arriving at Pharmacist for my collection.

I shall wait a bit longer and if this disturbing position continues, consider reversion to E Patches although I prefer E Gel.

Like you, I am getting worried but I hope Sarah is correct in assuming worst is over.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Online Kalandrina

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2022, 08:33:20 am »
The main issue is yes we have a huge shortage in the UK. But as most of us know for CIS women its maybe a pump a day keeps the menopause at bay, and this in theory means 1 bottle lasts them a 64 days, but for <not allowed> girls it tends to be a bottle can last 10-15 days (without going into doses:)
Now in UK GP's are being told only prescribe monthly or bi-monthly, and pharmacies will then arrange alternative if they have no Gel, which means patches. For me that's a big no as i suffer contact dermatitis and heat rash from them. so i have very little alternative.
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
(It's my life)
Like Frankie said