Community Conversation > Transgender talk

Resources re: Pre-Transition Pictures

(1/2) > >>

thelittlemermaid:
Hey all -- would anyone happen to know of any guidelines / articles from well-known resources (ideally organizations) regarding why it is completely inappropriate for a cis person to subject/asking to see/etc a trans person's pre-transition photos?

Thank you!

pamelatransuk:
Hello Thelittlemermaid

Guidelines and articles may or may not exist but I'm sure you would agree that it would be most discourteous for a cisperson to seek photos or any form of history of the transperson on grounds of respect and privacy.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Allie Jayne:
There are many publications from around the world, from organisations such as GLAAD, which describe how to be a transgender ally, and they nearly all include the message about not mentioning someones history. Just google ‘How to be a Trans Ally’!

Hugs,

Allie

Northern Star Girl:
@thelittlemermaid
The comment replies from our members  @pamelatransuk  and  @Allie Jayne  are very correct.

If a transitioning person offers and wishes to share their pre-transition pictures that is one thing,
but asking for them is very inappropriate.

If you do any reading of the various threads here on the forums you will see that some members
do openly share about their past history and their "before and after" photos... many others do not.   
Danielle

--- Quote from: Allie Jayne on May 24, 2022, 05:51:38 pm ---There are many publications from around the world, from organisations such as GLAAD, which describe how to be a transgender ally, and they nearly all include the message about not mentioning someones history. Just google ‘How to be a Trans Ally’!

Hugs,

Allie

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: pamelatransuk on May 24, 2022, 05:40:36 pm ---Hello Thelittlemermaid

Guidelines and articles may or may not exist but I'm sure you would agree that it would be most discourteous for a cisperson to seek photos or any form of history of the transperson on grounds of respect and privacy.

Hugs

Pamela xx

--- End quote ---

Rakel:

--- Quote from: thelittlemermaid on May 24, 2022, 05:18:34 pm ---Hey all -- would anyone happen to know of any guidelines / articles from well-known resources (ideally organizations) regarding why it is completely inappropriate for a cis person to subject/asking to see/etc a trans person's pre-transition photos?

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

I am not sure that any request of this type is "completely inappropriate" to ask.

Some of us have posted our before and after photos. Go take a look at the photos posted here. I am in there somewhere.

It is really a matter of personal opinion. Some of us are stealth and others not at all or somewhere in between. If you know that someone has transitioned, I do not think that it is unreasonable to ask to see their before and after photos.

This is just my opinion. I am sure everyone else has their own opinions.

Take care.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version