Author Topic: Surgery, Letters, and feeling lost at sea.  (Read 336 times)

Offline Cassie 4 Ever!!!

• Cassie Angelica
  • Friend
  • This is life, live it as if you get one chance
Surgery, Letters, and feeling lost at sea.
« on: June 13, 2022, 02:36:55 pm »
Hello everyone!

Lovely Cassie here. I started my transition in 2013 but had a set back so never completed it. I have been full time even in my set back since 2014. However now going to finish it for everything I want done now that It is possible thanks to the lovely perks of working at Starbucks.

I'm lost however. I need to get FFS and GCS and not only am I lost on the letters, but who to reach out to and information of who has done good work. I live in VA and preferably would like to do everything in the area.

Any help and guidance would be lovely when it comes to letters and good recommendations on surgeons. I'm feeling overwhelmed not having a car to go to a support group and living in an area with literally no resources. I'd like to figure out how to do this as efficiently as possible and my vision is to be done with FFS and GCS in 2.5 years or less.

Thank you in advanced!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Surgery, Letters, and feeling lost at sea.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:38:11 pm »
Good evening Cassie,

There are many good surgeons near you. Look in Philly, NYC, or Boston.

For GCS, I know several ladies who went to Dr Blue-Bond Langer in NYC. For FFS, there is Dr Spiegel in Boston and of course, Dr McGinn in Philly.

As for the letters, if you are now on hormone therapy, you should still have the letter that allowed HRT to start. Did you ever get the surgery letter? If not, then you will have to start with a therapist as soon as possible. If Washington DC is near by, I am sure you can find someone there.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Cassie 4 Ever!!!

• Cassie Angelica
  • Friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 12:40:20 pm »
Good evening Cassie,

There are many good surgeons near you. Look in Philly, NYC, or Boston.

For GCS, I know several ladies who went to Dr Blue-Bond Langer in NYC. For FFS, there is Dr Spiegel in Boston and of course, Dr McGinn in Philly.

As for the letters, if you are now on hormone therapy, you should still have the letter that allowed HRT to start. Did you ever get the surgery letter? If not, then you will have to start with a therapist as soon as possible. If Washington DC is near by, I am sure you can find someone there.

Thank you for this info!

Offline Cassie 4 Ever!!!

• Cassie Angelica
  • Friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 12:45:01 pm »
I wanted to post an update. I might be getting my letters as early as August. So excited! I reached out to several people and heard back.

I'm sure me starting transition in 2013, hormones in 2013, being fulltime since 2014, and having my legal documents changed in 2018 helped and that I still currently see an endocrinologist was extremely helpful.

Offline Jane.Shannon

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:00 pm »
Hello Cassie,

Someone you might look into is Dr. Gabriel Del Corral in Maryland; I know he does GCS and I think he does FFS too.

Before getting your heart set on a surgeon I would check with your insurance to see who they refer too and how you can go out of network if needed.  Fortunately, my insurance refers to the surgeon I wanted. 

June 2021: Orchiectomy
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline Cassie 4 Ever!!!

• Cassie Angelica
  • Friend
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:14:34 pm »
Hello Cassie,

Someone you might look into is Dr. Gabriel Del Corral in Maryland; I know he does GCS and I think he does FFS too.

Before getting your heart set on a surgeon I would check with your insurance to see who they refer too and how you can go out of network if needed.  Fortunately, my insurance refers to the surgeon I wanted.

Thank you for the DR suggestion. I'll check the Dr out.

Tags: