Author Topic: Do you enjoy eating oatmeal?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Do you enjoy eating oatmeal?
« on: June 23, 2022, 06:38:00 am »

I like it.

What do you add to the oatmeal, if anything?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline big kim

Re: Do you enjoy eating oatmeal?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 12:04:19 pm »
Being a half Scot of course I enjoy it! I usually just add milk to make porridge in cold weather. I sometimes add apples, bananas, berries, honey & yougurt  in warmer weather

Offline Ginger Tea

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:36:44 pm »
Yes, I usually add blueberries!!

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 02:57:13 pm »
Oatmeal, Fat Free Milk,  with Raisins and Brown Sugar... and perhaps a slice banana
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 03:02:56 pm »
I like oatmeal with brown sugar and sometimes I add berries.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline jennifer7020

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:58:52 pm »
Yes!

with brown sugar and fruit. or with maple syrup.  once in a while pecans or walnuts. or shredded coconut (the stuff you bake with).

I like overnight oats too-- instead of boiled you soak the oats in milk or yogurt (or both)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes
And I knew, without askin', she was into the blues
She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls
I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 04:17:05 pm »
Also good are oatmeal cookies!

See the cookie threads!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 08:09:30 pm »
Yes, yes. Oatmeal, yum yum.

Add cinnamon and a little of your favorite sweetener. Also with milk and sometimes a little fruit.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 08:38:44 pm »
Yes, hot oatmeal is great when the weather is cold.  I'll add brown sugar.
These days instead of brown sugar which hardens up I'll use white sugar and add some molasses that I have in squeeze container.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 08:20:54 am »
Oatmeal is good!

Chrissy

Online Jessica_Rose

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 09:03:11 am »
A teenager told their mom they were going to eat a healthier diet, so they tried some oatmeal.

Mom: Did you like the oatmeal?
Teen: It was OK, but that first bowl seemed a bit rough.
Mom: How long did you cook it?
Teen: Cook it?!?!?

I tried oatmeal once, it was just way too slimy for me. I would eat a bowl of soggy corn flakes in milk before I would try oatmeal again. However, oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips are awesome!

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 10:24:46 am »
A teenager told their mom they were going to eat a healthier diet, so they tried some oatmeal.

Mom: Did you like the oatmeal?
Teen: It was OK, but that first bowl seemed a bit rough.
Mom: How long did you cook it?
Teen: Cook it?!?!?

I tried oatmeal once, it was just way too slimy for me. I would eat a bowl of soggy corn flakes in milk before I would try oatmeal again. However, oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips are awesome!

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Use less water when cooking and it will not be too slimy.  You can add more dry oats to a watery bowl of them too. 

I use one minute (not instant) oatmeal and water and cook in the microwave. Depending on much you cook and your microwave, it takes between 60-90 seconds to cook a serving or two.  If too dry after cooking, add a slight amount of water and stir.  If too watery, add a bit of oatmeal and stir, potentially returning the oatmeal to the microwave for 15 seconds.

Using too small a bowl for the oatmeal you are cooking can cause the oatmeal to spill over the sides of the bowl.
So watch it cooking and shut off the microwave before your bowl runneth over.  Practice makes perfect.

After cooking, add brown sugar to your desired taste.  If you add too much sugar, it will be too sweet.  You can always add more sugar to taste but if it is too sweet all you can do to make things right is to cook another portion of oatmeal and mix the two cooked portions together.  Then the sweetness may be correct.

Hugs,

Chrissy

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 12:06:42 pm »
I have porridge nearly every morning with blueberries ,this week bananas for a change. I just tip some dry in a dish, chuck in some milk and microwave for 2mins . Works fine .
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:55 pm »
I eat a lot of oatmeal, especially in the winter. 2-3x per week in the winter. Not so much in the summer. I mostly use old-fashioned oats, but occasionally I’ll cook up a big batch of steel-cut oats and work my way through that over the course of a week.

Also, Oatmeal Scotchies (oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips) are my favorite cookie. I actually went into a cafe recently to get some coffee and they had big fresh baked schotchies and I was in heaven!

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 05:41:32 pm »
Oatmeal can be really good!

Chrissy

Offline traci_k

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 07:29:20 am »
I do like oatmeal though I avoid the overly sugared instant type. I'm strange, having grown up in the North, I prefer grits..

Misty
Traci Melissa Knight

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 09:25:35 am »
I have not had oatmeal this past week.  Maybe I will cook me up a bowl for breakfast!

Chrissy

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 11:14:06 am »
I've had oatmeal for breakfast a good 3-4 times per week for decades. My grandparents who lived well into their 90s did as well, BTW. I use only old fashioned oats and have devised a cooking method that lessons the likelihood of cooking mishaps. I first boil 1 cup of water, then turn down the heat, add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of oats. To that I'll add a bit of honey, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. When done in 5-8 minutes I stir in some chopped banana and a bit of Grape-nuts and leave it to sit a few minutes. Then I pour it in my bowl, top with something like walnuts and a little maple syrup and it's breakfast time.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline JanePlain

• Just Plain Jay Please!
  • Jay
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 12:28:38 pm »
I use (Don't hate me) those Quaker Oats pre-measured out packets and really like the ones with peach.  But fresh blueberries would be very good I think.  Can't think of anything not made better by adding blueberries.  Ha...
"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Offline Sephirah

• ^ My idol
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 03:04:34 pm »

I like it.

What do you add to the oatmeal, if anything?

Chrissy

Is that porridge?

If so... no, I can't stand the stuff. It's what you use to grout your bathroom tiles. Eww.
"It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead." ~ Nightwish: Last Ride Of The Day

Tags: