Author Topic: Garden tips and advice, best practices, and mistakes to avoid  (Read 262 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
This thread is here as a way to share best practices, tips, mistakes, etc. to make for better home vegetable and flower gardens, especially to help novices.  So share your ideas and do not till in a sundress and flip flops.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Maid Marion

Re: Garden tips and advice, best practices, and mistakes to avoid
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 04:43:32 pm »
Join a local garden club!  Find out what plants are best for your area.  The plants sold in garden centers may not be suitable for your climate.

Marion

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:47:17 pm »
I'll second that. Experienced gardeners in your area will know what does well locally.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 04:51:07 pm »
Having a garden, especially if living in a rural area or in the country, a fence is usually needed to keep the wildlife out.
Dear can easily jump a fence, even a 6 foot high fence.   Other smaller animals can be a problem as well.

I have a sturdy 8 foot fence around my raised garden beds...  with sheep wire on the lower 3 foot part of the fence.
I still have to watch for animals that will dig under the fence to get in.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 05:16:42 pm »
Having a garden, especially if living in a rural area or in the country, a fence is usually needed to keep the wildlife out.
Dear can easily jump a fence, even a 6 foot high fence.   Other smaller animals can be a problem as well.

I have a sturdy 8 foot fence around my raised garden beds...  with sheep wire on the lower 3 foot part of the fence.
I still have to watch for animals that will dig under the fence to get in.

Danielle

Maybe if one is making a new enclosed garden you can put fencing in the ground, dirt on top, elevated garden on top of that, fencing on the sides, and enclose it with bird netting above!  But you would still have bugs.
Might be impractical.  Or make or buy a small greenhouse with an irrigation system.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »
Join a local garden club!  Find out what plants are best for your area.  The plants sold in garden centers may not be suitable for your climate.

Marion

Makes sense.

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 05:18:46 pm »
I'll second that. Experienced gardeners in your area will know what does well locally.

It is hard to not support that idea.

Chrissy

@Devlyn @Maid Marion

Tags: