General Discussions > Nature and Pastimes

Garden tips and advice, best practices, and mistakes to avoid

(1/2) > >>

ChrissyRyan:
This thread is here as a way to share best practices, tips, mistakes, etc. to make for better home vegetable and flower gardens, especially to help novices.  So share your ideas and do not till in a sundress and flip flops.

Chrissy

Maid Marion:
Join a local garden club!  Find out what plants are best for your area.  The plants sold in garden centers may not be suitable for your climate.

Marion

Devlyn:
I'll second that. Experienced gardeners in your area will know what does well locally.

Northern Star Girl:
Having a garden, especially if living in a rural area or in the country, a fence is usually needed to keep the wildlife out.
Dear can easily jump a fence, even a 6 foot high fence.   Other smaller animals can be a problem as well.

I have a sturdy 8 foot fence around my raised garden beds...  with sheep wire on the lower 3 foot part of the fence.
I still have to watch for animals that will dig under the fence to get in.

Danielle

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: Northern Star Girl on June 23, 2022, 04:51:07 pm ---Having a garden, especially if living in a rural area or in the country, a fence is usually needed to keep the wildlife out.
Dear can easily jump a fence, even a 6 foot high fence.   Other smaller animals can be a problem as well.

I have a sturdy 8 foot fence around my raised garden beds...  with sheep wire on the lower 3 foot part of the fence.
I still have to watch for animals that will dig under the fence to get in.

Danielle

--- End quote ---

Maybe if one is making a new enclosed garden you can put fencing in the ground, dirt on top, elevated garden on top of that, fencing on the sides, and enclose it with bird netting above!  But you would still have bugs.
Might be impractical.  Or make or buy a small greenhouse with an irrigation system.

Chrissy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version