Author Topic: What style dress do you like  (Read 1691 times)

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
What style dress do you like
« on: June 30, 2022, 03:25:21 am »
What type of dress do you like? I find more fitting ones to be my sort of style, as I'm quite athletic, the floral and flow dresses don't seem to fit me or my personality.

Here's a pic of a dress I got recently, wish I had more hips but hey ho!

Offline Maid Marion

Re: What style dress do you like
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 05:30:17 am »
Hi RonnieKylie90,

I've bought dresses like that on Revolve and Ebay.
I'm short, so mini dresses often reach my knees.
I bought a mini dress off Ebay that was advertised as a 30" long top!

Marion

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 05:48:05 am »
Hi RonnieKylie90,

I've bought dresses like that on Revolve and Ebay.
I'm short, so mini dresses often reach my knees.
I bought a mini dress off Ebay that was advertised as a 30" long top!

Marion
how tall are you? I'm also quite short between 5'5'' and 5'6'' :)

Do you prefer floral and more open? or these types of dresses?

I do love a co-ord (so like the top and skirt separate that match). there's certain types of dresses that I definitely feel would look great on certain type of woman (think Kate Middleton - very lady like)but not me.

does anyone feel the same?

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 07:23:03 am »
There are several factors one might consider: body shape/size, season, occasion, age and personal preference. Some women are averse to wear dresses as much as a man, some that's all they wear, some it depends.

For myself, being tall, it's difficult. It depends on dress construction. dresses that are seamed/cut midriff are usually too high wasted for me. I have a longer torso, especially compared to someone AFAB at my height. With that in mind, skirts with a long enough top work better. With dresses, a princess seamed sheath, which has no horizontal cut. Whatever the case, 1-2" above the knee at shortest, midi the longest. So 43-50" in length. Think of Capt. Raydor on Major Crimes or some of the women ADA's on law and order. Kate Middleton looks good, but she's a stick and I doubt she buys anything off the rack.
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:26:02 am »
Just 5' 2"  so I'm short even by GG standards!  I think I lost an inch wearing heels!
But, compared to some other short GGs, by torso is shorter and my legs are longer, so my proportions look very good for a short person.  That, combined with my youthful face and salt and pepper hair, lets me wear juniors clothes without looking inappropriate for my age.  I have the hourglass figure that works with everything.

When I used to dress as a guy I'd follow the rules to make me look taller.  No busy patterns and no breaking up lines with contrasting tops/bottoms.  But I looked awful anyways as everything was too big or awkwardly cut.  Everything in men's was too big, even Chinese XS.  Everything in boys was cut for "one size fits all" and I needed something form fitting.  Eddie Bauer Petite Small tops are a really great fit for a comfy outfit that looks good.

But, as a girl, that doesn't matter.  I just bought a nice big 36mm watch on Amazon that makes my wrist look tiny!

I accidentally bought a huge wall clock on Amazon for my bathroom.  I didn't realize how big 18 inches was until I saw it in person!  But, it turned out great as I can see it just fine without my glasses!  So Amazon put two and two together and offered my a Citizen Eco Watch for $47!  Hoping that if I buy one and like it I will start buying bigger watches than the tiny ones I bought in the past!

Marion

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:16:01 am »
I'm oldish and fairly modest, so I prefer sleeved dresses that have some sort of defined waistline and are at least midi length. I can also only were dresses in "tall" lengths, because otherwise the waistline of the dress will hit too high. Unfortunately, I'm both tall (5' 11") and have a long torso, so most regularly sized dresses just don't work. At some point, I may invest in a couple of nice, custom-tailored dresses that would be investment pieces.

Sarah
----
50 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 12:15:09 pm »
Just 5' 2"  so I'm short even by GG standards!  I think I lost an inch wearing heels!
But, compared to some other short GGs, by torso is shorter and my legs are longer, so my proportions look very good for a short person.  That, combined with my youthful face and salt and pepper hair, lets me wear juniors clothes without looking inappropriate for my age.  I have the hourglass figure that works with everything.

When I used to dress as a guy I'd follow the rules to make me look taller.  No busy patterns and no breaking up lines with contrasting tops/bottoms.  But I looked awful anyways as everything was too big or awkwardly cut.  Everything in men's was too big, even Chinese XS.  Everything in boys was cut for "one size fits all" and I needed something form fitting.  Eddie Bauer Petite Small tops are a really great fit for a comfy outfit that looks good.

But, as a girl, that doesn't matter.  I just bought a nice big 36mm watch on Amazon that makes my wrist look tiny!

I accidentally bought a huge wall clock on Amazon for my bathroom.  I didn't realize how big 18 inches was until I saw it in person!  But, it turned out great as I can see it just fine without my glasses!  So Amazon put two and two together and offered my a Citizen Eco Watch for $47!  Hoping that if I buy one and like it I will start buying bigger watches than the tiny ones I bought in the past!

Marion

5'2'' is small! loving the watch by the way :)

Also I know Chinese sizes are even smaller compared to EU or US sizes :)

Online TXSara

• Family
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 07:34:28 pm »
What type of dress do you like? I find more fitting ones to be my sort of style, as I'm quite athletic, the floral and flow dresses don't seem to fit me or my personality.

Here's a pic of a dress I got recently, wish I had more hips but hey ho!

Oh, to be young again... looking good, Ronnie!  I have a pretty good figure, but there's not way in the world I would be able to pull off one of those tight little bandage dresses.  This is about as far as I'll go:

That was last summer when I was getting ready to go out for my friend Michelle's birthday.  I don't get to wear anything like that very often because it just doesn't "fit".  Most of the time, I'm wearing some sort of pant because that's what women my age wear!

Enjoy it while you can, sister!

~Sara

Offline ronniekylie90

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 11:01:41 pm »
Oh, to be young again... looking good, Ronnie!  I have a pretty good figure, but there's not way in the world I would be able to pull off one of those tight little bandage dresses.  This is about as far as I'll go:

That was last summer when I was getting ready to go out for my friend Michelle's birthday.  I don't get to wear anything like that very often because it just doesn't "fit".  Most of the time, I'm wearing some sort of pant because that's what women my age wear!

Enjoy it while you can, sister!

~Sara
wow wow, I really like the dress u are wearing, it really suits u as well and can so see you on you!!!

I think u look lovely ;)

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 03:37:31 pm »
Yes. Summer is for dress.

As I also tend to be active and sweat a lot, I prefer those dresses exposing and cooling my back.

Maybe I will buy more.

Cheers,

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 05:35:46 pm »
Well I do not get dresses as short as our beautiful @barbie does.

While away on a trip, I did buy a shirt dress but not too short for my likings.  I do not have a picture but mine looks like a long shirt and can certainly look nice with a little tighter jeans and sneakers or flats.  It can look nice with a blazer and jewelry for a nice evening meal out with a friend.

If I had more curves, I might wear it with a belt. 

There are many styles and colors and patterns and various lengths for shirt dresses, as for other dresses.

I likely will wear it by itself outside occasionally this summer while watering my flowers and vegetables as it is short sleeve and it does not come down to my knees.  So there is some versatility you can have wearing it for different situations.

All in all, I still prefer a nice blouse or shirt and a coordinating A-line skirt.  I do wear jeans, pants, skorts, and shorts more often though than skirts or dresses.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline barbie

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 05:49:05 pm »
Just ago, I ordered 3 dresses for this summer. I chose the biggest sizes available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004402870344.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001275975296.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33025079900.html

Do I have too many dresses? I am not quite sure.

Cheers,

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 08:26:24 pm »
Typically I prefer what is called a "fit and flare" cut dress. Basically it fits tight at the skinniest part of my waist and then flares out on my hips. It shows off the curves I've got the best in my opinion.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 12:12:15 am »
I'm in my 50's so I tend to wear a lot of jeans and t-shirts.. LOL
But I do like a nice flared dress.. this is something I got at a thrift store last week for a few $$'s

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 03:41:12 am »
But I do like a nice flared dress.. this is something I got at a thrift store last week for a few $$'s

Very nice @SarahEL
I really like the flare out dresses or A-line style skirts.  Like you, I typically wear jeans or chinos with a top, sweaters too when cold.  I do wish I had more curves. A corset helps me that way but I just do not want to wear one much at all, I want that natural look and feel.

You look great!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 08:51:53 am »

That looks awesome. You should do it more often.
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 09:20:46 am »
Sarah,

You look really good wearing that dress!

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 05:06:52 pm »
Although I have not worn dresses in public much, most recently today, the more I do wear a dress, the more I like to wear a dress.  It feels so right.  But, I likely will not wear them out frequently.

Chrissy

Offline barbie

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 07:10:02 am »
I have ordered a long dress. It looks so elegant.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003589797717.html

I chose the XL size, despite my tall height (184 cm, 6 feet).

barbie~~
Just do it.

Tags: