Community Conversation > Military Veterans Confab

Intersex in the VA

<< < (2/2)

Rakel:

--- Quote from: SarahEL on June 30, 2022, 09:37:37 pm ---@Rakel... As someone with a non-normal chromosomal makeup.. I do rather find offence in being called an abnormality...
Imagine if those words were used on here for gender issues??

--- End quote ---

Sarah, I appologize if I offended you. In my defense, I did not call you abnormal. I was refering to the chromosomal condition as abnormal.

In the medical community, abnormal is the same as not being normal or non-normal.

SarahEL:

--- Quote from: Bobbijean on June 30, 2022, 09:39:30 pm ---I have those scars.

--- End quote ---

Much like the term 'transgender' .. the term intersex covers a lot of ground. Basically any small variation from a binary norm in either biochemistry or physiology would determine someone intersex.
Understanding your own issues and more importantly what has been done to you is important.
I tried chasing the hospital I underwent surgeries at and drew a blank despite there being obvious issues. 48 years is a long time in hospital record keeping, especially when it was all digitised from the 90's onwards.
The 'good' news is that intersex conditions do not preclude or vary much any sort of transition. regardless of what those intersex conditions may be. Endocrinologically speaking there is only one goal, to override your bodies natural production (whatever that may be) and replace it with the desired hormonal levels of the gender you wish to live as.. your genetics barely makes a different to the method (though it may affect the end result)
good luck with your journey.

SarahEL:

--- Quote from: Rakel on July 01, 2022, 05:45:02 am ---Sarah, I appologize if I offended you. In my defense, I did not call you abnormal. I was refering to the chromosomal condition as abnormal.

In the medical community, abnormal is the same as not being normal or non-normal.

--- End quote ---
Much the same as my 'medically correct' abnormal gender issues?
As I said, in a public forum we have to be very careful about labels we assign to groups of individuals.. thank you for your apology.. I know you meant no offence, but thought it important enough to highlight.. as I have been repeatedly referred to as  abnormal, different, weird, strange and worse.. all words that alienate me from the human being that I so obviously am.

damalie:
In my experience with VA transgender services, Klinefelters testing is uncommon.

Bobbijean:
Hi all!

I believe that I may have been born intersex with Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (PAIS). I documented the forensic evidence of possible PAIS here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,259742.msg2463761.html#msg2463761

The health care providers at the VA seem completely disinterested.  They're more than happy to prescribe estrogen therapy, but no interest at all in my potential intersex condition.  My LGBT+ Care Coordinator is a psychiatrist that appears to be lazy and disinterested.  Are there testing regimes that can test so that I may find out for sure?  I have been diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria, but I would like to get to the bottom of the intersex issue before medical transition.  Any suggestions you can provide are most helpful.  Any suggestions to navigating the VA?

Hugs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version