Community Conversation > Hormone replacement therapy

Adding Progesterone to HRT regimen.

(1/2) > >>

Traci M Knight:
I've been taking estrogen for over 14 months now. Originally my intention was to see how my body and mind reacted to it. The depression I had been dealing with for over 30 years seemed to disappear within days. I wasn't necessarily planning on transitioning but now, experiencing some nice breast growth and the psychological effects that changed from being a male wanting to be a woman to "I am a woman," in my mind. I'm now thinking going with full medical transition, whatever that means. Until now, I've been able to hide the breast growth with looser fitting tops, but I don't think I no longer want to hide and move forward with social and medical transition. With certain health issues, I don't know if GCS is even possible.

I understand that progesterone works synergistically with estrogen to facilitate increased breast growth and other physical changes. I was wondering if any of the ladies here have any experience with adding progesterone to their HRT regimen that they are willing to share.

Thank you so much,

Misty

ChrissyRyan:
Misty,

You may wish to study this extensive thread:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,245188.0.html

Chrissy

@traci_k

Traci M Knight:
Thanks Chrissy,

Just what I was looking for.

Misty

Allie Jayne:
There are no studies which give definitive proof that Progesterone will be effective, but there is a wealth of anecdotal evidence showing that some trans women get benefits. Some recent studies have included trans women (That is unusual for hormonal studies, but refreshing for us finally being included), but again, the results are hit and miss. Those that report benefits include breast growth, nipple and areola development, improved sleep, improved mental state, and some reports (unverified ) of improved fat distribution.

Other points raised have been the synthetic Progesterones (Medroxyprogesterone) have significantly higher risks than Bioidentical Progesterones. Administration early in transition can hinder breast growth, and there are recommendations not to start until Tanner stage 3 is reached. Also there is a study indicating that oral administration can give misleading blood readings, so rectal administration was recommended. My doctor has read these studies and cautiously agrees with them, but you need to be aware of these things to ensure your doctor is also aware and can make the right decisions fo you.

My experience after 1 1/2 years taking Progesterone showed a small benefit, in that my nipples doubled in size in the first 6 months, but not much else happened after that. Here in Australia, the progesterone on our subsidised list is Provera, which is a medroxyprogesterone, so my doctor prescribed me Prometrium (which is bioidentical), but I had to pay full price and it made it too expensive for me to continue without seeing results, so I have stopped using it. I tried both oral and rectal and we monitored blood levels for both methods and found them to be similar. If I could get subsidised bioidentical Progesterone here, I would have stayed on it. Before I started on Progesterone, working with my doctor, I made sure that my HRT and blood levels were constant for 6 months so we could assess if changes were likely due to progesterone. My doctor loves the way I approach these things as he learns from them too!

I think it is worth trying, but I would wait until Tanner 3, and not have high hopes. You could be one of the lucky ones!

Hugs,

Allie

Rakel:

--- Quote from: traci_k on August 08, 2022, 06:26:10 pm ---...I understand that progesterone works synergistically with estrogen to facilitate increased breast growth and other physical changes. I was wondering if any of the ladies here have any experience with adding progesterone to their HRT regimen that they are willing to share...

--- End quote ---

Many transwomen have very satisfactory feminization with just estradiol and nothing else.  A few transwomen have reported some benefit from adding progesterone to their hormone therapy, but many others just do not see any need.

I like to think of estradiol as the feminizing hormone and progesterone as the pregnancy hormone. The two hormones do work synergistcally for cis-women who are of child bearing age, but for a transwoman and for a post menopausal cis-woman the benefits are limited.

Traci_k, you have only been on hormone therapy for 14 months now. You are just starting out. Be patient, please. You will not see the full benefit of estradiol until about 3 to 5 years from now. Feminizing hormone therapy is agonizingly slow.

Once we made the decision that transition is what we needed, we all wish for a speedy transition. This is going to happen but not right away. Give the hormones time to work their magic.

In the mean time, there are many other things that need to be done for a successful transition. You mentioned "certain health issues". I do not know what those are, but many transwomen with "medical issues" have found a way to further their transition in spite of those issues.

There are many uncertainties during transition. For a successful transition, you need to consider all the issues involved.

Take care.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version