Community Conversation > Hormone replacement therapy

Are you told to take calcium with your estrogen?

(1/1)

CosmicJoke:
That's what my PA instructed so that's what I do. I don't really know why but I think it's probably because women generally have less bone density than men. So does anyone else take it too?

Kaleig_hC:
Calcium has absolutely nothing to do with bone density. Actual bone density is a testosterone and estrogen problem. Low hormone levels lead to a decline in bone density. Since testosterone is safer to administer, it is even given to women to address bone density issues, obviously in lower doses than with men. If you take calcium and don't get enough of supporting vitamins and minerals then that calcium will calcify your heart and organs instead of going into your bones. Need magnesium, phosporus, and especially vitamin D and Vitamin K for your body to properly use calcium. General wisdom now is calcium supplements are bad since it leads to calcifying the organs because of lack of the above supporting nutrients. Many doctors have stopped doing calcium supplementation now. If you are going to do it keep the amount of calcium low probably no more than 500 to 600 mg. When you get near 1000 mg is where these problems start. I wager most people are magnesium deficient and some are vitamin D deficient too. I just do a 600 mg Viactiv chew myself. I don't do the higher doses of calcium. I also take 400 mg of magnesium citrate divided into 2 200 mg tablets. If you take 400 mg at once you get loose stools. More you weigh, the more magnesium your body needs. I also take 2000 IUs of Vitamin D too.

CosmicJoke:

--- Quote from: Kaleig_hC on September 01, 2022, 04:04:12 pm ---Calcium has absolutely nothing to do with bone density. Actual bone density is a testosterone and estrogen problem. Low hormone levels lead to a decline in bone density. Since testosterone is safer to administer, it is even given to women to address bone density issues, obviously in lower doses than with men. If you take calcium and don't get enough of supporting vitamins and minerals then that calcium will calcify your heart and organs instead of going into your bones. Need magnesium, phosporus, and especially vitamin D and Vitamin K for your body to properly use calcium. General wisdom now is calcium supplements are bad since it leads to calcifying the organs because of lack of the above supporting nutrients. Many doctors have stopped doing calcium supplementation now. If you are going to do it keep the amount of calcium low probably no more than 500 to 600 mg. When you get near 1000 mg is where these problems start. I wager most people are magnesium deficient and some are vitamin D deficient too. I just do a 600 mg Viactiv chew myself. I don't do the higher doses of calcium. I also take 400 mg of magnesium citrate divided into 2 200 mg tablets. If you take 400 mg at once you get loose stools. More you weigh, the more magnesium your body needs. I also take 2000 IUs of Vitamin D too.

--- End quote ---

Viactiv is what I take myself. I think I started out taking one each day but now I only really do one every other day.   

dianne_1234:
I take two Viactive daily per instructions from my doc. Here's why:

I broke a metatarsal (just from walking normally on a level floor!), and a bone scan showed I was osteopenic. The doc told me to take calcium, which is when I started taking the Viactive. About a year later I sustained a stress fracture in another metatarsal, got another scan, which showed measurable improvement in bone density. 

My doc attributes the improvement to the calcium + D.

Rakel:

--- Quote from: CosmicJoke on September 01, 2022, 03:08:50 pm ---That's what my PA instructed so that's what I do. I don't really know why but I think it's probably because women generally have less bone density than men. So does anyone else take it too?

--- End quote ---

The best thing to do is to ask your PA their reason for having you take the extra calcium. One other reason for taking Calcium Carbonate is to neutralize excess stomach acids.

For myself, I do not take any vitamins except for a good quality multivit with minerals. I do eat a lot of vegetables and I get plenty of sunshine here in Florida.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version