Author Topic: Dealing with cold hands and feet on HRT  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Gina P

• Former Gigi Cooper
Dealing with cold hands and feet on HRT
« on: November 26, 2022, 07:46:45 am »
   The last month or more, probably 6 weeks in on hormones my hands and feet are constantly cold. Very cold. I mentioned this to my GP doctor who laughed and said you are becoming a woman, now you know why we (women) are always cold. Its 70 in the house and I have thermal socks on and tried wearing gloves and a hat inside. I was always one to wear only a sweat shirt in the 20's most of the winter outside, now I'm contemplating buying a heated coat and gloves. I spend a great deal of my time outdoors and already dressing like its in the single digits even though its only in the 20s-30s. Does this happen to all you ladies?
   Freezing Gigi

Hear I sit on the beast
I hold the reins
control it's direction
it carries me where I want
I'm in control, or so I think

The beast is bigger than me,
stronger than me
it's in control no matter how hard I fight
we travel over obstacles,
see great beauty,
traverse dangers.
Forde mighty rivers
with currents great 

Life is a ride
onward I must go
The beast is Gender Dysphoria

Offline Jessica_Rose

Re: Dealing with cold hands and feet on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 07:56:46 am »
I have become much more sensitive to cold as well, but on the flip side I can tolerate heat much better! That's one of the reasons we moved to a warmer state, I simply couldn't take snow and cold for 6+ months every year. We keep our thermostat at 68 in the winter, and I'm always wearing thick socks, a camisole, a fleece or thermal top, and a sweater indoors. Oddly, my wife is comfortable with temperatures 6 - 8 degrees cooler than what I prefer. If she says it's comfortable outside, then I know I'll need a jacket or sweater.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Kaleig_hC

• Family
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 08:10:38 am »
Women have a warmer core body temperature. Core is even warmer when on birth control. The warmer your core the colder your hands and feet are. Women have less muscle which is a natural heat producer and more fat which blocks heat from getting to the extremeties like the hands and feet. My feet are cold anyway in the fall and winter since I wear flip flops year around. I am kind of use to my feet being cold anyway. It is basic biology. It is another welcome to womanhood moment.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 10:32:07 am »
If you live in a colder mountainous region or colder temperature area or you simply enjoy hiking, wool socks are the way to go.  Although a bit pricey; but, for sure worth it, are the really comfortable Smartwool (R) brand high quality wool socks.  No more cold feet.

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 10:39:18 am »
I've bought very nice socks from Swiftwick.

It may help to experiment with balancing your top versus bottom.
I sleep warmer if my bottom isn't as well insulated as my top.
VS sells separates so their customers can buy exactly what they need.

Marion
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 02:00:35 pm by Maid Marion »

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 11:35:37 am »
Now I found I have been hotter, feet as well. Can stand the cold better but then I have always been odd!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline Gina P

• Former Gigi Cooper
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 06:06:50 am »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one cold. Rubbing my hands as I type. I've always heard cold hands, warm heart. Guess thats true for most women. :) I bought a pair of insulated HEAT socks that helps on the feet now for the hands.

Hear I sit on the beast
I hold the reins
control it's direction

stronger than me
see great beauty,
traverse dangers.
Forde mighty rivers
with currents great 

Life is a ride
onward I must go

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Family
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 07:50:00 am »
Maybe I am the odd duck here, but I have never had any issues with cold hands or feet, but I live in Miami.  :P

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 07:53:48 am »
Maybe I am the odd duck here, but I have never had any issues with cold hands or feet, but I live in Miami.  :P

Lucky you!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 12:57:41 pm »
@Rakel
Dear Rakel:
I am certain that you might have had a different answer if you live where I do.   
At sub-zero temperatures in the winter, thermal insulated gloves and
thermal wool socks (and a good hat that covers the ears) are a must when out in
the elements... or even just going to an from my truck, or when just walking to a nearby store.
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 03:04:02 pm »
OMG, my hands are freezing like all of the time! Ugh! However my wife who is going through menopause, she is heating up. We used to be the opposite. Hormones are funny.   

How do I deal with it? Normally I heat up water and put it into a Nalgene water bottle and keep it in my lap when I am sitting on the couch. But recently I bought a heated throw blanket and I love it! Mmmmmmm!!!! The first night I got it I totally passed out fast asleep on the couch when I was just "testing" it out. Hehe.

Offline Tills

• Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 01:31:37 pm »
   The last month or more, probably 6 weeks in on hormones my hands and feet are constantly cold. Very cold. I mentioned this to my GP doctor who laughed and said you are becoming a woman, now you know why we (women) are always cold. Its 70 in the house and I have thermal socks on and tried wearing gloves and a hat inside. I was always one to wear only a sweat shirt in the 20's most of the winter outside, now I'm contemplating buying a heated coat and gloves. I spend a great deal of my time outdoors and already dressing like its in the single digits even though its only in the 20s-30s. Does this happen to all you ladies?
   Freezing Gigi

This made me smile: totally totally totally get this!!!! Last night I went to bed with feet that were blocks of ice and I've just been snuggling up to a water bottle to get my hands warm. Often wear a 'snood' indoors (kind of wraparound woollen thing).

Thanks for sharing this Gigi. It's comforting to know there are other iceberg ladies out there  ;D

xxx

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 01:44:02 pm »
@Nadine Spirit
Dear Nadine:
Yes indeed the "Heated Throw Blankets" are the best thing ever invented ....
....especially a good thing here in Alaska. 
Sometimes when I am in bed I will have a hot water bottle near my feet,
that too is a good thing!!!

My feet can be cold even though I do have an Electric Blanket on my bed
that I use about 9 months out of the year.

Thank you for sharing and posting.
HUGS,
Danielle

OMG, my hands are freezing like all of the time! Ugh! However my wife who is going through menopause, she is heating up. We used to be the opposite. Hormones are funny.   

How do I deal with it? Normally I heat up water and put it into a Nalgene water bottle and keep it in my lap when I am sitting on the couch. But recently I bought a heated throw blanket and I love it! Mmmmmmm!!!! The first night I got it I totally passed out fast asleep on the couch when I was just "testing" it out. Hehe.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Gina P

• Former Gigi Cooper
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 06:44:08 am »
I decided to order a pair of heated gloves today as the insulated ones are just not cutting it. I must work outside most of the time and having numb hands is not working out. I'll let you know how that works out.
   Gigi

Hear I sit on the beast
I hold the reins
control it's direction

stronger than me
see great beauty,
traverse dangers.
Forde mighty rivers
with currents great 

Life is a ride
onward I must go

Offline LuckyGal

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 09:26:39 am »
I literally came searching for this thread! 1 week into HRT, and wow, I'm super cold! Water bottle is my new best friend.

Offline Gina P

• Former Gigi Cooper
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2022, 06:44:51 am »
I have my heated gloves, which work great at keeping my hands warm. Only problem is they are so bulky I can not do much in them. They do work as a hand warmer though which I switch out with other thinner gloves. There are more expensive gloves on the market which are thinner, I probably should have popped for the extra.
   Gigi

Hear I sit on the beast
I hold the reins
control it's direction

stronger than me
see great beauty,
traverse dangers.
Forde mighty rivers
with currents great 

Life is a ride
onward I must go

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2022, 06:03:38 pm »
Cannot say I have had any issues with cold hands or feet. My feet are for me body temp regulators. If I am too hot in bed say, they have to be out in the cold and if they are cold all my body is cold. That has not changed in the four years of HRT

Jessica xx

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 07:49:04 am »
Merry Christmas @Jessica_k

:)

Chrissy

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 06:05:22 am »
Merry Christmas to you @ChrissyRyan and your family

Jessica xxx

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 05:22:16 pm »
Hi, in the winter I wear alpaca socks and at night I wear sheep booties.  Hand get cold. I wear warm sweaters and hen at home a warm hoodie.

When I go to the gym the last place I go is the dry sauna. 
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar 10/13/2020
Dr. Thomas laser vocal procedure 2/17/2021

Tags: