Author Topic: Largest U.S. Survey of Trangender Americans Aims to Fuel Change  (Read 239 times)

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Largest U.S. Survey of Trangender Americans Aims to Fuel Change
« on: November 29, 2022, 10:11:10 pm »
     Largest U.S. Survey of Trangender Americans Aims to Fuel Change

https://www.hivplusmag.com/news/2022/11/28/largest-us-survey-trangender-americans-aims-fuel-change

By Scottie Andrew, CNN
November 28 2022 10:37 AM EST

Excerpts below:
   (Click the NEWS link above to view the entire article)

(CNN) -- Federal surveys like the U.S. Census are gradually taking their transgender respondents into account. But they rarely ask specific questions unique to trans life: Have they been denied access to reproductive health care? Is their life better than it was before they came out as trans?

Enter the U.S. Trans Survey, the largest survey in the country specifically geared toward trans and nonbinary people. Conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), its results will be quoted by journalists, academics and legislators for the next five years.

The survey is especially important now, given the intense focus on the rights of trans Americans in political arenas. Trans residents of the U.S. remain an understudied population that represents half a percent of all Americans -- there are an estimated 1.6 million trans people 13 and older living in the U.S., according to the Williams Institute, UCLA Law's LGBTQ+ think tank -- but continue to be targeted by lawmakers.

"This is the kind of data our community is desperate for, fighting against bigotry that trans people have to endure," said Josie Caballero, the director of the U.S. Trans Survey and special projects at the NCTE. "This is a community-led survey by trans people, for trans people."

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline ErinWDK

• Confused? Welcome!
  • A unique spin on UNIQUE!
Re: Largest U.S. Survey of Trangender Americans Aims to Fuel Change
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 10:46:47 am »
I took this survey last night.  They said it would take 30 to 90 minutes.  It took me two and a half hours.  I may have gotten more questions as I am nonbinary.  In some circles it seems I am not "Trans enough" since I am nonbinary, but the survey had a lot of questions that fit.

The article rubs me the wrong way badly.  They hold onto the outmoded idea that we are 0.5% of the population.  There are a LOT more of us than that; it is the proliferation of bogus statistics like that which make politicians feel free to walk all over us...  <Rant OFF>

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Largest U.S. Survey of Trangender Americans Aims to Fuel Change
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:51 am »
I took this survey last night.  They said it would take 30 to 90 minutes.  It took me two and a half hours.  I may have gotten more questions as I am nonbinary.  In some circles it seems I am not "Trans enough" since I am nonbinary, but the survey had a lot of questions that fit.

The article rubs me the wrong way badly.  They hold onto the outmoded idea that we are 0.5% of the population.  There are a LOT more of us than that; it is the proliferation of bogus statistics like that which make politicians feel free to walk all over us...  <Rant OFF>

Agreed, as I pointed out when the newest version of the WPATH  Standards of  Care  came out:

Standards of Care version 8 was released on 6 September. It'll be added to the wiki tomorrow or whenever my headache allows me to finish editing.

Edit: live. it still needs edits to reference/appendix links, drop down table content, and changes to text errors. will also try to reformat the table of contents so it's smaller

It's a lot more comprehensive than previous versions. Some key changes are reducing the recommended time on HRT before surgery, being written to include more of the diversity in the transgender community, and greatly increasing the estimates of transgender people in the population.

The last point is of particular interest to me. I have always asserted that the estimates were dreadfully low, and the WPATH has acknowledged that previous estimates and studies were largely based on the number of people who sought out and received surgical procedures. The numbers have been changed from the often quoted .05% to anywhere from between ~ 2 - 8% of the population across various studies.

Here is the link to version 8 of the WPATH Standards of Care here on the site:

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Standards_of_Care_for_the_Health_of_Transgender_and_Gender_Diverse_People
Veteran, US Army

Tags: