Author Topic: Report: At least 32 transgender people killed in US in 2022  (Read 180 times)

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Report: At least 32 transgender people killed in US in 2022
« on: November 30, 2022, 02:04:55 pm »
      Report: At least 32 transgender people killed in US in 2022

Associated Press News
   https://apnews.com/article/transgender-deaths-america-2022-data-76c8ba3936e9a724377d1733a4619d7c

HANNAH SCHOENBAUM
  November 16, 2022

Excerpts below:  (click the NEWS Link above to view the entire story)
At least 32 transgender and gender-nonconforming people have been killed in the United States in 2022, the Human Rights Campaign announced Wednesday in its annual report ahead of the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Transgender people of color account for 81% of known victims this year, and 59% were Black. Trans women are disproportionately represented, as they have been in years past, also comprising 81% of the deaths recorded at the time of publication.

The Human Rights Campaign has documented at least 302 violent deaths of transgender and gender-nonconforming people since the LGBTQ advocacy organization began tracking such fatalities in 2013 — the same year the FBI began tracking hate crimes against transgender people.

The victims have been “overwhelmingly Black, under 35 and killed with a firearm,” the report states.

Black transgender women, such as Shawmaynè Giselle Marie, a 27-year-old nursing assistant killed in June in Gulfport, Mississippi, comprise 63% of all recorded victims since 2013.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
Re: Report: At least 32 transgender people killed in US in 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 04:33:22 pm »
All homicides are dreadful. I do wonder what benefit there is to highlight one minorities "numbers" are other than to make them more of a target or try and cause some negativity towards a minority community? The number seems quite small in respect to the statistics and yet it is reported without any context as to if this is an unusual number of deaths in the general population and this is because of their gender status.. instead of this being a balanced review it tries to let the reader make that assumption, that not only is being transgender dangerous, but it may be acceptable to "hate" us if you are not transgender as we are already being victimized.

The statistics :-
The total number of homicides in the USA last year was 22,900
with 0.39% of the population in the USA identifying as transgender (citations below)
Means statistically you should expect nearly 90 of those killed to be identifying as transgender.
So looking at this it is statistically safer to be transgender. Thats not being reported....

I want to make it clear, that any death by foul means is an atrocious act.. killing someone for their gender is no different to killing them over their religion or colour of skin. My point is, this poor news report tries to make out that we are in danger by pursuing our needs and I argue that we are in no more danger than everyone else. Of course, keep yourselves safe and don't put yourself into dangerous situations.. but generally.. there are as lot of us in the population, living full time and integrating into society just fine. This stuff is only meant to scare people.

link to the estimated transgender population research
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303578

link to the homicide figures for 2021
https://www.statista.com/statistics/191134/reported-murder-and-nonnegligent-manslaughter-cases-in-the-us-since-1990/
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Tags: