Author Topic: Iowa lawmakers push bill to bar teaching gender identity before high school  (Read 86 times)

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle, Aspiring Person
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Iowa lawmakers push bill to bar teaching gender identity before high school

NPR NEWS  Iowa Public Radio  KSUI Radiio
  https://www.iowapublicradio.org/state-government-news/2023-02-01/iowa-house-and-senate-push-bills-that-opponents-say-erase-transgender-identity

Iowa Public Radio
By Grant Gerlock, Katarina Sostaric
Published February 1, 2023 at 7:42 AM CST

EXCERPTS Below:
(Click NEWS Link above to view entire story)
The bill bans lessons including gender identity for grades K-8, while another proposal requires consent from parents before affirming a student's transgender identity.

Supporters of the bill told lawmakers in a subcommittee hearing Tuesday that passing the measure is a matter of affirming parents’ rights. They said educators should not talk with students about something as important as their gender identity without involving a parent.

“Children are the sole responsibility of the parents,” said Patty Alexander of Indianola. “A teacher is not the parent. We need educators, schools and administrators to stay in their lane.”

Sen. Sandy Salmon, R-Janesville, said it should be up to parents whether that information is made available about their children.
“Delicate and sensitive information such as outlined here is a private and a tender part of a student’s life, the family’s beliefs and the student-family relationships and is very personal,” Salmon said. “And schools have no business getting this kind of information without the consent of the parent.”
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 43

Tags: