General Discussions > Gaming

‘Hogwarts Legacy’... Transgender Character in Harry Potter’s Wizarding World

(1/1)

Northern Star Girl:
‘Hogwarts Legacy’ Game Features First Transgender Character in Harry Potter’s Wizarding World

VARIETY                                
 https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/hogwarts-legacy-transgender-character-jk-rowling-harry-potter-wizarding-world-1235514416/

By Todd Spangler
Feb 6, 2023 10:07am PT

EXCERPTS BELOW: (Click Link the VARIETY Link above to view the entire story)

The soon-to-be-released “Hogwarts Legacy” game — set in J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World of more than 100 years ago — will include the franchise’s first transgender character.

The new Harry Potter-based open-world role-playing game, which is set in the 1800s Wizarding World created by Rowling, introduces players to Sirona Ryan, the proprietor of the Three Broomsticks pub in the game’s Hogsmeade Village — who informs players that her classmates took some time to realize that she “was actually a witch, not a wizard.”

The evident appearance of a trans character in the Wizarding World is significant, given that Rowling has generated widespread controversy over the last few years for making comments that many have perceived as anti-trans.

In “Hogwarts Legacy,” when the player asked Sirona Ryan about how she knows a goblin named Lodgok, Ryan replies (via GameRevolution): “Hadn’t seen him in years when he came in a few months ago. But, he recognized me instantly. Which is more than I can say for some of my own classmates. Took them a second to realize I was actually a witch, not a wizard.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version