Author Topic: I can't decide which FFS procedures to get??  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
I can't decide which FFS procedures to get??
« on: February 22, 2023, 09:06:09 pm »
Due to funds I can only get 2 procedures from the surgeon that I want (Harrison Lee). I'm definitely getting brow work done but I can't decide what the second procedure should be. I don't pass at all, I look like Kurt Cobain with sideways <not allowed> so I'm not sure if FFS will be enough to make me passing, and I have extreme facial dysphoria that makes me suicidal.

What procedures should I choose? My bestie says brow and chin and I tend to agree but I want to be absolutely sure. I can DM pictures if needed.

Online Jessica_Rose

Re: I can't decide which FFS procedures to get??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 09:17:58 pm »
FFS should be to make you feel better about the reflection you see. It really just depends on what bothers you the most. If you have a prominent brow which bothers you, then that should be on the top of your list. Brow contouring is probably one of the most common facial surgeries for transgender women.

Jaw or chin... if you have long hair, that could help soften your jaw line somewhat. Chins are hard to hide, they kind of lead the way for the rest of your face. Without seeing any photos, I would tend to agree about going for brow and chin.

Whatever you decided, don't let anyone push you into a decision. Fix the parts which cause you the most pain.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 09:33:36 pm »
Well I don't like ANYTHING about my face, so I'm just trying to narrow it down to the most necessary.

Thnx for the reply xoxo

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Family
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 05:31:19 am »
Every face has it's own feminizing requirements. Maybe if you could find someone who can do computer modeling that will help you find what needs to be done first.

For myself, the most important feminizing procedures were around my eyes, nose and brow.  Some procedures naturally go together, such as brow reduction (type 3) and scalp advancement or rhinoplasty and upper lip shortening.

Unless you have an overly large mandable, I have always thought that any shaping in this area has limited feminizing potential and is very expensive. Also procedures in this area seem to have a large number of complications, like nerve damage.

However, this is your decision to make. You may consider that you are a work in progress. (Aren't we all!) You can always get additional procedures in the future.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 08:15:55 am »
As I have done many times, I second what Rakel said. In short, lower your hairline, thin your nose, or raise your upper lip.

Offline Ms. Grey

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:06:05 pm »
A heavy jaw and overly long chin ( think Jay Leno) is super masculine in my opinion.
As a 3D artist and photographer I can tell you that the smoother and less angular the better and more feminine.
Try looking at photos of female and male skulls and you will see that almost every feature is more diminutive on the female.
Reduction of the jaws overall thickness and a sharpening and set back of the chin are used by many FFS surgeons.

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 03:13:37 pm »
I was really happy working with Alexandra at virtualffs.co.uk

I think the most important part of what I received from her was her analysis of my facial features and a discussion of what was going to be most / least helpful for me.

I'll paste a snippet...

Eyebrow height:
Women's eyebrows typically appear to sit in a higher position than men's but this is largely an illusion. In fact, the top edge of the eyebrows is in almost exactly the same place for men and women. The reason female eyebrows appear to be higher is simply that they are thinner. Basically, if you remove the bottom half of a male eyebrow, it turns into a female eyebrow.

Your eyebrows sit in a slightly low position. They will lift a little with forehead surgery as the soft tissues are placed in their natural position for the new forehead configuration and and I have simulated the effect. The lift that comes with brow bossing removal tends to be reasonably subtle, but it does help to emphasise a more open, feminine expression without lifting them so high that it looks unnatural.

Some surgeons might recommend a surgical brow lift to lift them well beyond their natural position, but this can look strange, giving you a permanently surprised expression and I don't recommend it. All you really need is enough lift to compensate for the loss of volume in the bone.

Eyebrow shape:
Your eyebrows slope down towards the outer corners. This is not a fault - it's just part of the character of your face, and one of the things that make you look like you, and it's not a masculinity so I have not tried to correct it.

Upper eyelids:
The lift from forehead surgery should help to tighten this area up as I have simulated but you would probably need an upper blepharoplasty to achieve the degree of change I have shown in the pictures. This should reduce the "sleepy" look you mentioned in your email but I would advise you not to fight too hard against that look - it's part of the character of your face, it's not a masculinity or a fault.

The entire thing is a nine page document, and while some of it is "boiler plate", there is a lot of good information in there.  She also puts together photoshopped photos providing a reasonable guess at what things would look like if you chose different options for FFS.  She applies the changes in the order she believes are from "most important" to "least important", so you can get a pretty good idea of where you would be if you just chose the 2-3 things that make the most difference.

Hope this helps!!

~Sara

Also, I believe that Harrison Lee is a pretty expensive surgeon.  You may actually get a better bang for your buck elsewhere.  I did mine in Marbella Spain with Facial Team.  I think they're fantastic and reasonably priced.

Online Iztaccihuatl

• Family
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 04:04:01 pm »
Hi Sara,

Since you mentioned virtualffs, can you please describe how close you think her renderings were to the actual results of your FFS. I am really curious how close she gets.

Thanks,

Heidemarie

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 07:41:16 pm »
Since you mentioned virtualffs, can you please describe how close you think her renderings were to the actual results of your FFS. I am really curious how close she gets.

She did pretty well except for two things:
  • She assumed that I would choose to get a rhinoplasty, and I didn't.  She had that as a higher priority thing, so there isn't a picture that contains exactly what I had done
  • She assumed that Dr. Bellinga would leave my downturned eyes alone.  He brought the outer canthus of my eye up quite a bit.  It scared me at first, but I love it now.

Again, the benefit wasn't so much the photoshop stuff -- it was having an expert (someone who looks at faces every day for the purpose of feminizing them) give me advice about what things would make the biggest difference.

~Sara

Online Iztaccihuatl

• Family
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 08:41:21 pm »
Thanks, Sara.

While I am nowhere near a point of even contemplating FFS, I am still tempted to enlist her services just to get a visual of what is possible and how I would look like after FFS. It might remove some of my fears of moving forward with transitioning. However, without having been on HRT yet, the results might be not as close as with you, since she also has to guesstimate what changes HRT might bring to my face.

Heidemarie

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 03:28:52 pm »
Thanks, Sara.

While I am nowhere near a point of even contemplating FFS, I am still tempted to enlist her services just to get a visual of what is possible and how I would look like after FFS. It might remove some of my fears of moving forward with transitioning. However, without having been on HRT yet, the results might be not as close as with you, since she also has to guesstimate what changes HRT might bring to my face.

Heidemarie

Note -- when I enlisted Alexandra's help with this, I was only 3 months on HRT.  The physical changes had not really come through yet at all from the estradiol.  She made a few changes that were the type expected from HRT, and she wasn't all that far off.

~Sara

Online Iztaccihuatl

• Family
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 11:22:22 pm »
Note -- when I enlisted Alexandra's help with this, I was only 3 months on HRT.  The physical changes had not really come through yet at all from the estradiol.  She made a few changes that were the type expected from HRT, and she wasn't all that far off.

~Sara

That's good to know, thanks!

Heidemarie

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 07:58:29 am »
There are much cheaper surgeons around with a reasonable reputations where you could get more extensive work.

I don’t think you can get very useful advice without posting photos. I find takes quite a while to understand when you’re looking at with ffs.

Offline Madison2002

• Neighbor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 01:55:02 pm »
There are much cheaper surgeons around with a reasonable reputations where you could get more extensive work.

I don’t think you can get very useful advice without posting photos. I find takes quite a while to understand when you’re looking at with ffs.

Do you have any suggestions for alternative surgeons? I've been looking into Facial Team but I'm not sure if I'll be able to leave the US.

And I'm not comfortable posting photos in a public forum, only via private message.

Offline TXSara

• Family
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 06:42:28 am »
Do you have any suggestions for alternative surgeons? I've been looking into Facial Team but I'm not sure if I'll be able to leave the US.

DO IT!  You know you want to!  LOL... Just kidding  ;D

Seriously, though, for me it was a question of "travel" or "no travel".  The distance of travel didn't really matter all that much -- there's a significant benefit to having someone within a 2-3 hour drive because it is easier to physically be there for a consult, you may not need to pay for hotels, and it's easier to pop in if there's an issue in recovery. 

Once you are getting on a plane, though, there's not that much difference REALLY between how things go 500 miles away vs. 5,000.  You're dealing with the same problems.  You have to fly there, stay there until your post-operative appointment, find someone to help you during the recovery, etc.

One of the reasons I chose Facial Team is that they have an entire infrastructure built up around dealing with exactly this problem.  Some of the US surgeons may as well, but I haven't heard about it.  From what I have gathered, the mindset here in the states is that you are under their care from the time you get to the hospital to the time you leave.  In Marbella, I felt like I was in their care from the time I was wheels down in Malaga to the time I was dropped off to catch my return flight home.  I had a wonderful experience.

Note that I HAVE had moments where I wished I could just pop into the office to get them to take a look at my incision on top of my head.  That's a pretty significant downside -- I didn't have any real complications, and I imagine it would have been problematic if I did.  That, though, would have been the case for ANY surgeon I chose that was not a quick drive away.  If Dr. Lee is within close driving distance, he may very well be the best solution for you.  If he's NOT, though, I suggest not paying too much attention to mileage.  It's a binary decision:  Travel or No Travel.

~Sara

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 11:00:04 am »

And I'm not comfortable posting photos in a public forum, only via private message.

I’m not a saying these people are good or bad, so check for yourself.

Lazaro Cardenas In Mexico seems quite popular. Facial Team is fairly expensive. In the USA there’s some new surgeons around who may be cheaper, at least until they get better known. Paul Mittermiller for example, trained  with Keojampa I think.

Tags: