General Discussions > Music

Album: Dixie Chicks: Taking the Long way

(1/2) > >>

Susan:
I submitted this review to iTunes I encourage everyone to go out and buy this album. It does not matter if you like country music or not. If you like the Dixie Chicks or not. We have to show America that free speech is still free.

I am a former republican,  and I am buying this
         album to reward the Dixie Chicks for having the
         courage to speak out and to stand up for their
         principles. You see a patriot is not someone who
         blindly salutes the flag and mouths the mantra
         that they support the troops. Instead a patriot
         is someone who stands up to those in power, say
         and do the right things even when it may be
         considered by the public at large as unpopular. I
         salute the Dixie Chicks for this reason, you
         should also.

Go out and buy their album and encourage all your friends to do the same!

jan c:
is this their first release since all the brouhaha? I hope as many buy it for the reason you suggested as for the opposite reason anyway.

Alexandra:
I got stuck in a car on a long trip with only the next-to-last dixie chicks CD available . . . by the end of the trip I kinda didn't even mind their music. Go DC!

Chaunte:
Nope.  Sorry.  I must respectfully disagree.

I believe that the Chicks were out of line.  Disagree with the war all you want, and I do, but do it on American soil.  It is inappropriate to carry this type of protest offshore.  Their tirade onstage in England reminded me, and a lot of other county music listeners, of "Hanoi Jane."*  I was glad they apologized and hoped that we could move beyond all this.

Unfortunately, no.

This latest set of rantings by the Chicks comes across like a publicity stunt.  Retraction of their apology was timed to coincide with the release of their latest cd.  They are trying to pick a fight and doing it to boost sales.

I would have respected the Chicks if they had continued their anti-war protest here in the States.  That is excercising their First Amendment rights.  Trying to topple a foreign government on foreign soil is not their First Amendment right.  Instead, they disappeared from view.  This latest set of rantings by them reeks of sleeze.

The Chicks are permanently off my play list.

Chaunte

* For those of you who may not know who "Hanoi Jane" is, I have provided the following link.  I will say upfront that the link goes to the US 1st Cav Medic (Airmobile) website.
http://www.1stcavmedic.com/jane_fonda.htm

Susan:

--- Quote from: Chaunte on May 25, 2006, 08:51:01 pm ---Nope.  Sorry.  I must respectfully disagree.

--- End quote ---

That is entirely your right. There's an ole saying too many Republicans and Bush supporters forget.... I disagree with what you have to say, but will defend to the death your right to say it. People need to apply this to the Dixie Chicks also.

--- Quote from: Chaunte on May 25, 2006, 08:51:01 pm ---I believe that the Chicks were out of line.  Disagree with the war all you want, and I do, but do it on American soil.  It is inappropriate to carry this type of protest offshore.  Their tirade onstage in England reminded me, and a lot of other county music listeners, of "Hanoi Jane."*  I was glad they apologized and hoped that we could move beyond all this.

--- End quote ---

The current conflict was started with Congress issuing a document called the Authorization for the Use of Military force. The non-partisan congressional research service stated quite clearly

--- Quote from: The congressional research service ---Where Congress has passed a declaration of war, 50 U.S.C. ยง 1811 authorizes the Attorney General to conduct electronic surveillance without a court order for fifteen calendar days following a declaration of war by Congress. This provision does not appear to apply to the AUMF, as that does not constitute a congressional declaration of war.... For a discussion of declarations of war and authorizations for the use of military force, see CRS Report for Congress RL31133, Declarations of War and Authorizations for the Use of Military Force: Historical Background and Legal Implications, by David M. Ackerman and Richard F. Grimmett.

--- End quote ---

So basically we are not in a war, we are in one of the numerous conflicts our nation has been in, which  like the Korean war these do not technically qualify as a war.

The Dixie Chicks didn't embarrass the United States, George W. Bush does that perfectly well on his own without anyone's help.  They said specifically.

--- Quote from: The Dixie Chicks ---"Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."[1]

--- End quote ---

It is their right to state what ever they feel to whomever they like. George W. Bush even agrees.....

--- Quote from: George W. Bush Jr ---"The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say...I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq ..."
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Chaunte on May 25, 2006, 08:51:01 pm ---Trying to topple a foreign government on foreign soil is not their First Amendment right.  Instead, they disappeared from view.
--- End quote ---

I do not understand that statement. The United States toppled the Governement of Iraq and are now rattling the sabre with regards to governement of Iran. I know of no governement that the Dixie Chicks tried to topple, nor any that they have the ability to even affect beyond voting in the elections.

--- Quote from: Chaunte on May 25, 2006, 08:51:01 pm ---The Chicks are permanently off my play list.

--- End quote ---

I am sure that fact won't bother them in the slightest. Me personally, I consider that your right and support your decision totally. However I strongly disagree with the reasoning and logic behind that decision.

--- Quote from: Chaunte on May 25, 2006, 08:51:01 pm ---* For those of you who may not know who "Hanoi Jane" is, I have provided the following link.  I will say upfront that the link goes to the US 1st Cav Medic (Airmobile) website.
http://www.1stcavmedic.com/jane_fonda.htm

--- End quote ---

I believe that attempting to link the Dixie Chick's first amendment protected speech and Jane Fonda, should be beneath your dignity. No side was pure and innocent during that conflict, remember My Lai.

The only information I can find on their retracting an apology is Time Magazine which suggests that by releasing this album, they retracted their apology. They as far as I know never issued a statement saying we didn't mean what we said. It probally came from a Time Magazine article lead-in which said.

"Cover Story: Chicks In the Line of Fire Three years ago they apologized
                          for dissing the President. Now, they're back with a new album - and a
                          retraction of the apology."

However the article makes no such claim that they retracted anything, instead it says:

"The celebrity playbook for navigating a scandal is one word long: repent.
                       But apologies are for lapses of character, not revelations of it, and sensing
                       that they were being asked to apologize for their beliefs as much as their
                       timing, the Chicks decided not to back down. "

I think the source that you got that impression from was misunderstood, misinformed, or perhaps even intentionally misleading people. I make no judgements either way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version