Activism and Politics > Politics

Social Security Number Thefts c/o Veteran's Administration

<< < (2/5) > >>

Melissa:
I did a little searching and I couldn't find anything about getting a check.  The only place I've heard about that is here.  If I do get a check, I'll update you.

Melissa

stephanie_craxford:

--- Quote from: Teri Anne ---And now, the government is pondering HOW MUCH MONEY to give to veterans to check up on and manage possible identity theft concerns.  It's ridiculous.  The Social Security numbers, in their infancy, were never supposed to be used for anything other than government identification.  And now, every phone, cable, credit, gas and electric company has yours.  And how well are THEY safeguarding it?
--- End quote ---

That's the way it used to be here in Canada.  It has since changed with legislation that required the deletion of all SSN information unless it was required by an employer for HR/payroll purposes.  I remember that way back our Service Number in the military was our SSN, that too was changed.

I'm not sure if this has curtailed identity theft but the number is no longer available in Canada to anyone or any other entity except an employer or Human Resources and Development Canada (HRDC), and it is no longer permited for anyone to request the number

Additionally the initial topic only indicated that "the government is pondering HOW MUCH MONEY to give to veterans to check up on and manage possible identity theft concerns."  I don't see where there was any mention of a cheque.

Steph

Melissa:
That's another good point Steph.  If the Social security number is restricted on how it can be used, that alone would make it more difficult for identity theives since there wouldn't be a universal number that can be used.

Melissa

stephanie_craxford:
Very true

Steph

Kate Thomas:
I doubt that the vetans will ever see any real cash solution to this. what is likely to happen is that the finacial instatutions that must deal with the problem, will likely bill (sue) the VA for their trouble. this will translate to a loss of VA services due to "finacial reasons". this is a no win situation. 

Kate Alice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version