Activism and Politics > Politics

ROFLAMO, this is what happens to your brain when you vote conservative

<< < (3/3)

Chaunte:

--- Quote from: Melissa on June 17, 2006, 12:04:22 pm ---Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too.  Maybe there's another party that better stands for what you believe in like what you stated above.

Melissa

--- End quote ---

I don't know if I agree...  Aren't our representatives in Washington doing exactly that?  ;)

Let me ask a question out of ignorance:  Aren't modern "Southern Democrats" (aka Reagan Democrats) socially democrat and fiscally republican?

Chaunte

HelenW:
Hmmm .  .   .    .     .      A fiscal Republican and a social Democrat.

Sounds reasoned, realistic and quite possibly workable in real life.  A Centrist, by all signs, I believe.

Naahh!  It'll never fly.  ;D

helen

LostInTime:
Arresting US citizens on trumped up charges and holding them without a hearing is nothing new.  Anyone remember Kevin Mitnick, the supposed big time hacker that stole billions worth of info (that was said to get the feds really involved, it was actually a far cry from that)?  Four years pre-trial.  One year of that in solitary confinement because they were afraid OF him, nor for him.

Susan:

--- Quote from: LostInTime on June 20, 2006, 11:47:34 am ---Arresting US citizens on trumped up charges and holding them without a hearing is nothing new.  Anyone remember Kevin Mitnick, the supposed big time hacker that stole billions worth of info (that was said to get the feds really involved, it was actually a far cry from that)?  Four years pre-trial.  One year of that in solitary confinement because they were afraid OF him, nor for him.

--- End quote ---

No but he had access to both a lawyer and the courts to challenge his detention. A Judge ruled that he was too much of a risk to be left free based on information provided by the government to the judge. However that is a far cry from arresting people in the United States and taking them out of this country to deny them their constitutional rights. If the government has the evidence of a crime there is absolutely no reason a civilian court could not try the case and sentance him to prison. You only do a end run around the Constitution when you don't have a case against the individual in question. Or you want to use illegal actions to try to build a case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version