News and Events > Political and Legal News

South Bend defeats discrimination measure

(1/3) > >>

LostInTime:
Link

The City Council turned down a measure that would have protected gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people under the city's anti-discrimination code.

The 5-4 defeat of the sexual orientation and gender identity protections followed a four-hour hearing Monday. Leaders of South Bend Equality, a group that pushed for the measure, said they would continue to promote the issue.

HelenW:
this is a real disapointment!

From the article:

--- Quote ---Council members who opposed the measure said it would create a protected class.

"I don't believe anyone is saying we support discrimination, but there are a number of issues we still need to address," said Councilwoman Karen White.
--- End quote ---

"...create a protected class."  Well, DUH!  Unfortunately because of our culture the class NEEDS and DESERVES protection!

"I don't believe anyone is saying we support discrimination . . ."  No one may be saying it but that's exactly the message I'm getting!

this just pisses me off to the extreme!
helen

Melissa:

--- Quote from: HelenW on July 11, 2006, 04:04:03 pm ---"I don't believe anyone is saying we support discrimination . . ."  No one may be saying it but that's exactly the message I'm getting!

--- End quote ---

Lol.  So true.  Actions speak louder than words.

Melissa

stephanie_craxford:
Although I don't completely understand the US system of government I can't understand why these protections are not guaranteed under your constitution.  We are talking about basic human rights here and basic human rights should never be voted on.

Steph

Melissa:
Because the country is run by George Bush, who loves to discriminate.

Melissa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version