News and Events > Political and Legal News

South Bend defeats discrimination measure

<< < (3/3)

Melissa:
If we had decent presidents running the country, then this could change.  The problem is, there aren't enough consecutive good presidents in a row.  Geroge W. bush put a lot of discriminatory people on staff.

Melissa

stephanie_craxford:
Hello Chaunte.

You would know.  Personally I believe that when it comes to human rights issues that if you are human then it's your right no matter what.  These personal rights and freedoms should never be subject to a vote.  i know that we have a couple of Conservative members of parliament who would give their eye teeth to challenge our Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

Steph

Kaitlyn:

--- Quote from: Chaunte on July 11, 2006, 06:58:02 pm ---And before anyone blames George W, the fault should be laid at the feet of Bill Clinton, George H Bush and Ronald Reagan.  It is their nominees who are on the bench today, not W's.

No, I am not excusing George W, but he should only be blamed for the things he HAS done - or failed to act upon.

--- End quote ---

Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Samuel Alito were both appointed to the Supreme Court by George W. Bush and are perhaps the most conservative justices to date, worse than even Scalia. Alito has written in the past that his goal is to reverse Roe vs Wade, the bastion of reproductive rights, but was appointed to the court in spite of Democratic opposition. The appointment of Alito tipped the balance of the Supreme Court from a mixture of liberal, center-right, and conservative justices to a nearly solid conservative majority. Which means that potentially, the worst is yet to come.

With all George W. Bush has done, he really deserves his reputation, and more.

Chaunte:

--- Quote from: Kaitlyn on July 11, 2006, 07:16:43 pm ---Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Samuel Alito were both appointed to the Supreme Court by George W. Bush and are perhaps the most conservative justices to date, worse than even Scalia. Alito has written in the past that his goal is to reverse Roe vs Wade, the bastion of reproductive rights, but was appointed to the court in spite of Democratic opposition. The appointment of Alito tipped the balance of the Supreme Court from a mixture of liberal, center-right, and conservative justices to a nearly solid conservative majority. Which means that potentially, the worst is yet to come.

With all George W. Bush has done, he really deserves his reputation, and more.

--- End quote ---

Kaitlyn,

Fair enough.  My error and I stand corrected.

Chaunte

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version