Atheist Prayer

(1/10) > >>

Natasha:
Atheist Prayer

Our brains which art in our heads,
treasured by thy name, thy reasoning
come.  Thy best you can be do be done
On earth as it is.  Give us this day new
insight to help us resolve conflicts and ease pain.
And let us not into supernatural explanations;
Deliver us from denial of logic; for thine is the kingdom
of reason; and even though thy powers are limited
And you're not always glorious,
You're the best evolutionary adaptation
We have for helping this earth now and forever
And ever
So be it!

tinkerbell:
You know, there is this doctor at work who calls herself "an Atheist".  However, she does pray before she enters the OR.  She mumbles something, closes her eyes and looks upwards.

Who do Atheists pray to?  I was under the impression that Atheists didn't look to an invisible, mystical, supernatural being to help get them out of whatever it is that is troubling them.   I thought they looked to themselves, their family, and their friends for support.  Strange, eh?

tink :icon_chick:

Arch:

--- Quote from: Tink on September 13, 2008, 02:48:07 pm ---You know, there is this doctor at work who calls herself "an Atheist".  However, she does pray before she enters the OR.  She mumbles something, closes her eyes and looks upwards.tink :icon_chick:

--- End quote ---
Not strange. This isn't necessarily praying. I don't pray, but I sometimes "talk myself up" before doing something challenging or stressful. I don't look upward, though. I suspect that some people look upward because it gives them a sense of connection with the cosmos, or something. Or it could be habit.

Have you asked her about this practice--respectfully, of course?

tinkerbell:

--- Quote from: Arch on September 13, 2008, 03:02:51 pm ---Have you asked her about this practice--respectfully, of course?

--- End quote ---

No, I haven't but rumors have it that she prays in the OR while she is assisting or performing surgery as well.  And no, in this case, I don't think she is talking to "herself".  I will ask around on Monday to be sure!  >:D

tink :icon_chick:

Sephirah:
There's a saying... "there are no atheists in a foxhole", which I presume to mean that it's one thing to be atheistic when you can afford to be philosophical about the subject in relative comfort and safety. But when your life is in danger, or someone else's life is in danger, that philosophy often tends to go out the window. After all, what do you have to lose?

It takes a certain degree of single-minded determination to stick to atheism and not become agnostic, especially if/when that belief overrides the self-preservation instinct (in this case "please, God, if you're up there... I don't wanna die!").

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version