Author Topic: MTF transsexuals and military  (Read 4199 times)

medo

MTF transsexuals and military
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »
I have questions about mtf transsexuals and military. For those, who live in countries, which have professional military, where only volunteers join the army, this is not a problem, because only those who have interest in military join it. But there are counties, where military based on drafts, what mean every male citizen have to serve in the army, and that mean, that MTF T-girl, who was born male have to serve in the army, like it or not. I would like to know, how stressful was for a person, who is a woman inside, to be in this specific environment. What were their experiences there, like with commanding stuff, other soldiers from the unit, etc. Were they supportive or abusive or tolerant? Did they hide their fillings and act as a normal male in the army or expose to someone, that they are different?

sd

Re: MTF transsexuals and military
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:46:14 am »
Some of those countries have ways around it if you get the proper medical documentation.

Offline Naturally Blonde

• Family
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »
Why would a M to F transsexual go in the military?  :o
Living in the real world, not a fantasy

ErickaM

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:12 pm »

I can only speak for myself; I retired from the US Navy after 20 years of service.  But if the Navy would have ever found out about me I would have discharged with an other than honorable conditions, just like our gay brothers and sisters that serve in the US Armed Forces.  So why would an MtF go into the military; I was hoping that the service would make a man out of me and I wanted to serve my country.  But as we all know that the more you try to control gender issues the more you are unable to control them.  I was able to hide while on duty but not at home.  It was hard and emotionally draining but I would be able to transition after retirement and I have except for GRS and I hoping that will be done in the next couple of years.

Offline tekla

• Left Coast
  • Family
  • Self-Rescuing Princess
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »
I think that there are plenty of people who are capable, willing and able to serve our nation in the military.  Not everyone has to heave-ho and fight, there are lots of jobs in clerical, intelligence and other work that anyone - regardless of gender, but dependent on intelligence and dedication can, have, and will do an awesome job.  Your gender, your sexual preference ought not to matter so long as you are willing to serve, and abide by the rules set.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...

sd

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:11 am »
Women join, gays join, why not mtf?
Actually a large percentage of people go into the military for a way out of a dead end town or job, a job, or education. Quite a few LGBT go in to try and get straightened out as well. It is theorized that there is more LGBT in the military per capita then the general public for the reasons above.

I did it for a job primarily but also hoped it would make a man out of me.

If you suspect you are trans, I don't recommend it.

Did it effect my work, not in the slightest. I was very good at what I did, enough to be promoted early. I didn't like the lifestyle and got out, which was good as people started asking questions about me towards the end (I was still in denial however). I am glad I did it though.

Jenny Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:30 am »

God knows, but a hell of a lot seem to. I've been amased at the number of both pre and post op girls whom I've met who are ex military (inc. RN & RAF) with a goodly proportion ex special forces.

Offline Naturally Blonde

• Family
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:32 am »
I think that there are plenty of people who are capable, willing and able to serve our nation in the military.  Not everyone has to heave-ho and fight, there are lots of jobs in clerical, intelligence and other work that anyone - regardless of gender, but dependent on intelligence and dedication can, have, and will do an awesome job.  Your gender, your sexual preference ought not to matter so long as you are willing to serve, and abide by the rules set.

Not all of us are 'your nation' in the assumption that the whole world revolves around America. We don't all agree with the war that's going on at present and many of us don't agree with war in general.

Living in the real world, not a fantasy

Jenny Jackson

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:01:19 am »

Not all of us are 'your nation' in the assumption that the whole world revolves around America. We don't all agree with the war that's going on at present and many of us don't agree with war in general.

With all due respect NB, I think that's by the by. Simply based upon membership/participation this is a US'centric board and that is likely to be reflected in the posts and I'm happy to add my 2p worth as and when I feel I can make a worthwhile contribution. Furthermore, if you have a gripe about what the military is doing, or not doing, or indeed the very existence of a military at all, we're hugely fortunate both in the UK and in the US that it's not the military with whom we have to take issue, and thank God it isn't, but their political masters.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:41:14 am by Jenny Jackson »

medo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:32:04 am »
Your answers are mostly form countries, where is professional army, and join only those who are interested in military. My question is for those MtF, who live in countries, which have draft system, what means every male citizen from age 18 up to 25 must serve in the army, like it or not. I don't think a lot of MtF in that age are officially females, what means they have to serve in the army also. Not everyone have that luck to have medical excuse not to serve.

lisagurl

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:22 am »
Not everyone have that luck to have medical excuse not to serve.

It is mot a matter of luck. They simply do not take people that do not qualify. Mental conditions included.

sd

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:31:41 am »
While many in the U.S. share your views, they have no bearing on the topic at hand.

And for the record, serving in the military does NOT mean you support what your leaders do. As mentioned you can do it for a job, or just to serve your country, it does not mean you support every decision your government makes.

For many that is a hard thing to separate.

Most soldiers live by the motto of train to fight in the hopes you don't have to. Most are normal people with views just like you.

Tags: mtf  military