Community Conversation > Intersex talk

Question and Answer - What is Intersex?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sub-Zero:
I know this thread hasn't been touched upon in a while but I'm interested in learning more about this from people who actually have it, or are it, more to the point, so does anyone know how being intersex happens?

Freyja_Joro:

--- Quote from: Sub-Zero on April 15, 2012, 08:57:13 pm ---I know this thread hasn't been touched upon in a while but I'm interested in learning more about this from people who actually have it, or are it, more to the point, so does anyone know how being intersex happens?

--- End quote ---

It depends. I don't personally have it, but I do have a basic understanding of it.

Sometimes it can be a birth defect, other times a genetic disorder and other times reproductive mistake.

A Genetic Disorder would be AIS.

While a reproductive mistake might be having a sperm cell having XY instead of just one of the chromosomes or double Chromosomes like XX or YY, or having Y or X like it should but the egg having XX. Which could lead to certain problems in the development of the child.

A birth defect might be just child being born with ambiguous genitalia or a baby boy being born with the lack of a penis, (which isn't all that uncommon.)

D0LL:

--- Quote from: Kate on June 29, 2007, 12:20:51 pm ---I often wonder how many people don't even KNOW they're intersexed? Some of the genital abnormalities are pretty minor, and it's hard to see your chromosomes, lol...

~Kate~

--- End quote ---
I wonder the same thing. I've watched a few shows of "chimeras" and intersex people, and it's amazing how many of these people go through life completely normally to one day find out they're a DNA clusterf***.

I've always wished I was intersexed, just to have a reason for feeling the need to be male. Unfortunately, my large bone-structure and other male attributes such as body hair CAN be attributed to my insanely high testosterone. However, that's not to say I may not still be intersexed, I just highly doubt I'd ever get tests done to confirm either or answer. Knowing my DNA makeup wouldn't help me feel any more of either gender...

TiffanyJ:
Hi, I just saw your post and it got me thinking, if someone is intersex can it effect their bones, for instance can someone have a feminine jaw bone and masculine brow bone? And hips, I know there are a few intersex conditions, the fact that I have some strange features has often made me wonder if maybe I'm intersex, but back to the hips, is it also possible to have one side of your hips wider than the other?

If anyone replies thanks :)

Balerie:
I don't know but reading these posts I wonder what happened when I was born. Nobody ever told me anything was out of the ordinary. Three years ago I went to see a urologist because my doctor had run blood tests and found I was low testosterone. I went to the urologist and after an examination was asked if I would allow a genetic test to be performed. I agreed and my next visit I was told that I was 47XXY. He said he needed to confirm his suspicions due to my body shape,small genitals, gynomastia, and underdeveloped testes. It was then that a lot of things made sense.

Basically, I was told I was intersex and nothing needed to change because I was still me. I told the doctor about my weird mental state which continually switched back forth from male to female, my crossdressing, and the fact I was sterile. He explained that it was all normal considering my genetic make-up.

Fast forward to the present, I'm using Androgel and still my testosterone is really low and my estrodial is super high. I was told that I have a high probability of getting osteoporosis so I need to use the Androgel. I'm worried because I've read that XXYs should have a bone density test done and it hasn't been suggested to me. I also worry that I may have ovaries or even some female anatomy within me but I haven't taken action to get that checked either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version