Community Conversation > Non-Op

Is the 'cure' a curse?

(1/7) > >>

Just Kate:
This post -> https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=58248.msg370594#msg370594
Got me thinking about a question I've had for some time.  There is a lot of great discussion in the other thread, so rather than detract from it, I decided to make a new topic.

The question is, before there was SRS, how did people cope with their GID?  Is there any evidence of such people and their choices?  I mean, all I have is speculation from looking at people in history and their 'bizarre' behavior, but perhaps one of you knows more.

More important question then - does knowledge of a 'cure' make not having the 'cure' worse?  Meaning, does knowing that the option to transition and have SRS exist make it worse for those with GID who do not have it?

kody2011:
I don't know if it makes it worse since i've always known that there is a "cure", but i know that it is pretty bad knowing that I can't get that "cure" at this point.

Chrissty:

--- Quote from: interalia on April 11, 2009, 11:47:01 am ---More important question then - does knowledge of a 'cure' make not having the 'cure' worse?  Meaning, does knowing that the option to transition and have SRS exist make it worse for those with GID who do not have it?

--- End quote ---

So long as the individual can make the choice… No

Nero:
before SRS, there were eunuchs. I really don't know how transmen dealt with it. i guess those lucky enough to pass for men did so. and likewise for the women.

placeholdername:
I think before SRS people mostly lived without the conception that SRS was possible, and so the associated disphoria was lesser -- it's more painful if you know it's possible to do something about it.

Along with that, plenty simply did their best to live as the gender they identified with, without hormones or SRS or FFS, just as many still do across the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version