General Discussions > Islam

<not allowed> and Homosexualism as a Birth Defect

<< < (2/3) > >>

Julie Marie:
If you define "normal" as something that occurs most frequently then you have to allow for variations from normality.  But in our society we think of normality as what is correct and everything else is wrong (defective) and needs to be corrected.

In nature there are countless variations from the norm but that doesn't mean defects.  Real normality is there are no two things on this earth exactly alike.  Everything is unique.  And we, as humans, are all unique.  Even identical twins are not exactly alike.

So it goes to reason that using the term "defect" and applying it to anything that varies from the norm is denying nature itself.  We can use the term "defective" in things we make but not when referring to nature's creations.

Julie

FairyGirl:
I agree with Julie, looking at it as a defect is not natural! lol But a lot or most gay/trans people I know personally seem to just be "wired that way". That applies to me anyway, I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't feel like I should have been born female.

Silver:

--- Quote from: Julie Marie on October 18, 2009, 11:17:14 am ---If you define "normal" as something that occurs most frequently then you have to allow for variations from normality.  But in our society we think of normality as what is correct and everything else is wrong (defective) and needs to be corrected.

In nature there are countless variations from the norm but that doesn't mean defects.  Real normality is there are no two things on this earth exactly alike.  Everything is unique.  And we, as humans, are all unique.  Even identical twins are not exactly alike.

So it goes to reason that using the term "defect" and applying it to anything that varies from the norm is denying nature itself.  We can use the term "defective" in things we make but not when referring to nature's creations.

Julie

--- End quote ---

Well what about those who believe the evolution theory? What if you had a deer with one short leg, so it couldn't run well and limped. It could have ended up like all the other deer, but it didn't. So since it's slow it gets eaten. Maybe the leg was a natural variation, but it was a disadvantage and deer are certainly better off with symmetrical leg length.

That's what they think of homosexuality, but homosexuality is not an impairment. (Unless your goal is children. But there's major world overpopulation.) Transsexuality requires lengthy (and possibly expensive) transition, but I don't think that means we should be removed. Lots of diseases require treatment, and we don't just kill all of those people off.

JonasCarminis:
Deanna: the only mention of anything resembling transsexuals in the Qur'an is a verse (not sure of the real term for it) about women not revealing themselves except to her husband, her husbands father, her brothers... etc, then it mentions men "with no vigor" at their right hand.  this implies something similar to a castrated "man" or a womanly "man".  (it mentions nothing of the persons identity)  im not as well versed about homosexuality in the Qur'an.  i hope to learn more on that.

a lot of the laws in Muslim dominant countries are based on culture, not the Qur'an.  in Islam, the final word is the Qur'an because it was revealed by, and is the word of Allah.  a lot of Muslims are against homosexuality and <not allowed> because of what is written in the Hadiths (acounts written about the prophets).  There is pretty much a general consensus (:P)among Muslims that humans are flawed and that the word of Allah trumps all.

--- Quote from: Julie Marie on October 18, 2009, 11:17:14 am ---If you define "normal" as something that occurs most frequently then you have to allow for variations from normality.  But in our society we think of normality as what is correct and everything else is wrong (defective) and needs to be corrected.

Julie

--- End quote ---
  Islam embraces cultural, racial, ethnic, and physical differences.

Bellaon7:
I've very little understanding of Islam & what is available at the library appears to be a "filtered veiw from outside". This board does not seem to have much actitvity & I hope that this is a place where Muslims can feel at ease & address our issues in terms that they are allowed to do so without fear of reprisal. I suspect that LGBT issues are not issues that Muslims are at ease to address in their homes or their Mosques. I believe they are welcome here already, but may require reassurence of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version