General Discussions > Hinduism

Do Hindus accept ts/tg or do you have too?

<< < (3/3)

Satya'sMind:
Hinduism is more philosophy than "religion" (in the way that religion is understood in Western/Abrahamic faiths). While the pantheon of Hindu deities is usually thought of as "gods" (with many revered as "Lord"), they are really presented as avatars of different facets of our own inner true selves. The 'gods' are really different aspects of each of us. It sees the physical body as just a "sheath" covering the truest essence of who we really are, and at it's core honors individual efforts to reveal the inner true self and bring it to the surface--and also sees everyone as both masculine and feminine, woman and man. Yoga grew out of this understanding as a way to make the body a more comfortable "vessel" for the true self, the consciousness, the spirit (whatever works for you), and to prepare you mentally for living that truth--gradually dismantling the complex intellectual constructs that prevent you from understanding yourself.

The Bhagavad Gita devotes an entire chapter to Krishna explaining to Arjuna on a battlefield that he is the collective energy of all things in the Universe...that Krishna is an avatar of everyone's combined collective true selves. And the entirety of the Bhagavad Gita is set in a battle at Kurukshetra, which is a metaphor for our own personal struggle between our inner self and the self we are forced to present to the world. When people "worship" deities in Hinduism, they are really calling that facet of themselves to the surface to help in a life situation.

This is why Hinduism is generally very accepting of transness.

Abstract:

--- Quote from: oceanblack on February 07, 2010, 10:05:03 pm ---I have actually been studying Hindu and Yoga lately, so this is what I can add to this topic, even if its getting a little stale :)

Shiva is considered a primary deity amongst Hindu teachings, and the largest sect of Hindu considers Shiva the Supreme God of Heaven. What is significant about this, is the fact that Shiva is very often depicted as a perfect hermaphrodite, sometimes even split evenly down the middle as one side male/one side female. Their belief is that the supreme power is both masculine and feminine, and that both masculine and feminine energies exist within us. Due to this, I would say that they are far more open to transgender concepts than in the west, where the common rule is that there is only one all knowing man-god.

Additionally, there are several third gender groups in southern asia, and India is no exception. There exists a group called Hijra. They dont have a clearly indicated parallel in our understanding of gender and sex, but the majority of them seem to be transwomen that only undergo partial surgery (effectively becoming eunuchs) or do not opt for surgery.

Just my little observations, anyway :)

--- End quote ---

My avatar is of shiva...
He is typically seen as a he... he has a crescent moon on the top of his forehead which can be consider symbolism for either having a feminine mentality or having conquered that aspect of the mind as well...

But as most Gods he can have multiple manifestations some of which are female i believe.
Personally I think Kali is one of his manifestations... (its complicated)

Mohini:
It really all depends on the temple and community that you are a part of. In the West, it is a hit and miss, but if you go to India, unless you pass very well, then it would be a complete miss.

Unfortunately, Indian culture can be quite rigid in terms of gender segregation and roles, and if you end up being gender-queer, or bigendered, or cross-dressing, you will be disrespected in the community and even shamed!

But Hinduism itself shouldn't be hateful towards all trans people, since we are part of the tritiya prakrti, or third sex. This would include gays, lesbians, trans, and bisexuals!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version