General Discussions > Hinduism

Do Hindus accept ts/tg or do you have too?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Protasekretis:

--- Quote from: transnikki on July 12, 2010, 05:49:47 am ---My personal experience with Hindus in the USA is that they're as mixed a crowd as any other religion, so you shouldn't assume they're trans-friendly simply because their faith includes <transgender>/mixed-gendered/third-gendered/other-gendered figures.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this I feel to be very true. I told about my interest in hijra and transgender to a hindu friend. Usually she has been such kind, understanding...About hijras, she just said, they live outside the society, in their own communities. In a tone, that these people do not belong in to "us".  I sensed also her disappointment in me. Then she asked if i can give any quotes from the scriptures, and I quoted Mahabharata and Ramayana, in places where Rama and Arjuna touched the transsexual experience.

She went distant, and hasn't contacted me since. I guess it was too much a shock.
Spirituality and tradition, yes. Third sex issues, no. This is my experience.

Rana:
Life is hell in INDIA for TG. Believe me, our own parents are not ready to undersatnd and accept. They find us as a mental disorder. Forget having a Gal friend or Boy friend openly. Even if you have you cant carry it all your life for many reasons such as family pressure from both the sides.

yaka:
In South Asian countries, the bigotry doesn't stem from RELIGION but from CULTURE.
Even though religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism in theory are accepting of TG, those who practise them are typically not.
Discussion of sex in general, even "normal" heterosexual kind is considered taboo, let alone transsexuality or homosexuality.

brenn:
Hinduism does not have the same sorts of moral absolutes as western religions (including Islam) so on the surface it appears more accepting when you think of concepts such as the half-male/half female Shiva, also known as Ardhnarishwar - literally "half woman god." The god Vishnu also has a half-woman form, but it is only found (as far as I know) in archaeological sites and not in modern temples. The hijras are actually more like eunichs as many of them have chemically castrated themselves. They are descended (not literally, but culturally) from the Mughal courts. In the context of S. Asian culture they are part of the unscheduled casted - or the bottom of the caste heap. On the other hand, due to blessings placed on them by Lord Rama as mentioned in the Ramayana, they are considered auspicious if they appear at a wedding or childbirth (and you pay them to go away).

S. Asians are much more accomodating of differences and most abide by the rule of live and let live, but will automatically put TG people into the lower caste status of the Hijras. In this context on would be discriminated against in the same way people of lower castes are discriminated against.

This is a far more complex issue than I have outlined here, but this should give the general idea.

KittyLondon273:
I think it depends on the community and person, just as it varies from community and individual how Transgender people are viewed in Christianity and every other religion.  As far as I know, in India, Transgender people are revered by some and some others are prejudiced against them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version