Author Topic: The Official "Do I Pass?" Thread *CLOSED*  (Read 309633 times)

Offline Osiris

• Family
  • Gender Hybrid
The Official "Do I Pass?" Thread *CLOSED*
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:59:24 pm »
Here you can post your pictures, youtube videos, etc. and get some input from other members instead of creating a new thread for each pic or vid.

This is meant to help give advice and constructive criticism. Remember there is a difference between being truthful and being rude.

Also note that there is no way for someone on the internet to really be able to tell if you pass in real life. There is a big difference between interacting with someone and seeing a photo or video.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:07:21 pm by Osiris »
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत

Offline Banf

Re: The Official "Do I Pass?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:25:10 pm »
H'okay my first potential passing post.. Sorry for the spam! :D But I wanted to give a bit better idea of my body/face shape etc than one or two pics can suggest..

I don't often actively "try" to pass at the moment (I think my voice gives me away anyways, it's quite obvious I'm binding IMO, and I'm still female to friends/work). But it happens randomly sometimes, which is fun. :D
However it's usually quite hard to judge when I'm passing, or not. Unless somebody uses a gendered pronoun, which isn't often. On an initial reaction, random public actually seem to use male pronouns more often than female (if they use either), even though I don't think I really pass as male..
Anyway, I need second opinions!

Mostly I think my face looks feminine when I smile, which is annoying because I don't want to not smile!
The other thing is, for my chest to pass as male (from the side especially), I think I won't be able to go in just a t-shirt (with binder + undershirt). I'm worried about summer... :/

My dad has said that I have a feminine body shape and isn't sure I'll ever look like a man. Personally I think I'm the banana, and have a bit more faith in T etc! P: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bodyshapes.svg

What do you think? I can handle the truth! I'm not looking for undeserved validation here. :o

Offline Osiris

• Family
  • Gender Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:35:26 pm »
I think you have an androgynous leaning towards masculine face, but I don't think the haircut is helping. The long hair at the sideburns that comes to a point is very feminine. Keeping hair trimmed around your ears should help give a more masculine look.

As for body shape, E and T determine fat distribution. When on T your body's fat will redistribute giving you a more masculine shape.
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत

Offline Silver

• Family
  • FTM
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »
You definitely look passable to me. Actually, your body looks a lot like mine. Even though I don't like it it doesn't really seem to be a big deal to others. They just don't really notice/care too much.

Offline Banf

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
Yeah, I've been thinking that about the hair. It's growing fast and the 'sideburns' are going wavy and curling round a lot which I hate/doesn't help. :P

Chrissty

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »
I shouldn't really comment here...but

The first photo is really good...Serious dude..maybe tighter jeans and oversize "T" would help

Having your hair stick up at the front makes your profiles better...

The shape of your glasses is doing you no favours...

I love your smile...but it is a bit of a giveaway...

Overall...looking good..... so I'll back up what Osiris says...but with a few "tweeks" even better....

Chrissty

Offline Banf

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »
You definitely look passable to me. Actually, your body looks a lot like mine. Even though I don't like it it doesn't really seem to be a big deal to others. They just don't really notice/care too much.
I was thinking the same when you posted pictures, y'know! And it's very true about a lot of people not noticing/caring.. P: It's funny, for a while now I've found myself trying to note what makes people I see on the street look male or female. I've seen a lot of guys who could 'pass' as transguys tbh, though I don't think they are. P:
Hmm, I definitely need to work on my voice and more effective binding with minimal layers for summer.. I can feel my ribcage not enjoying it already, though. Damn C's!

Offline tekla

• Left Coast
  • Family
  • Self-Rescuing Princess
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »
The glasses scream girl, get something more like black plastic frames, and get a simple, no frills, non-emo rockstar haircut - those two things would help a lot.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...

Call Me Joe

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »
You know that guy from Beetlejuice, the main actor? You remind me of him. Definitely androgynous, but definitely not a girl, if I ever saw you on the street. I'm plagued by the smile thing, too. Haha I end up trying to smile tight to hide my lips, and look like I'm in pain =]

I dunno if the glasses shout 'girl', but they REALLY shout 'wimp', 'sensitive', all that stuff. But, [and I think this is more important than something being too girly], you don't look like a butch. If anything, you look guy-gay...ha. You're just gonna have to depend on the metrosexual generation of boys to keep your style looking 'normal', is all. Not all guys are plain in appearance--though I will say, I am myself. It's who you are. And if you pass, you don't have any reason to be super-macho.

Offline Miniar

• T since Dec. 17. 2009
  • Family
  • The Tallest!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »
Body looks male to me, but the little things around the face ain't helping. Mostly stuff they've mentioned, but T would take care of the rest so.. ;)

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche

fdfge

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »
i think you pass quite well, and t will only help
maybe try a different hairstyle and you might pass better..i actually think theres not much girly about that style but i dunno

Offline kyle_lawrence

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:30:36 am »
I have a really similar hair cut, and it definitly turns kinda feminine when it grows out a little.  I need a hair cut before it starts growing into a mullet.

Offline spacial

• MTF wannabe
  • Family
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 06:00:19 am »
As has already been said, your body looks fine. The tee shirt says 'look at me'. Perhaps you want to spend some time blending in first.

Glasses have to go. Something more male, perhaps gold rimmed and more round?

Also, your hair looks really gay!! Can you comb it back, perhaps with some men's hair cream?

Sort of Elvis type look but much flatter. Definately behind the ears though.

If you can  get it cut, even better. But that depends on you. A short cut, almost even all over. Again, that will depend on you, how much time you spend in either gender and how you feel.

I've seen guys wearing necklaces, but can you perhaps think about leaving it at home?

Offline Ryuu

• detransitioned dysphoric lesbian
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:59:49 pm »
I have absolutely nothing to say to Banf, it's all already been said.
However, I suppose I'll ask for myself. I have actually passed 3 times in the past 2 weeks, which is 3x more than usual, so I thought I'd ask. *goes to take pics of self*
http://i47.tinypic.com/28tkrom.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/8vx3z4.jpg
What do you think?

Offline Osiris

• Family
  • Gender Hybrid
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »
Lookin good dude. I see your eyebrows have filled in some more since the last pics I saw of you. I do think the overall face/head shape is more feminine but you did a good job with the sideburn area making sure it's very squared off which is more masculine. Something that might help is letting your hair grow out some. Let it get longer on top and then keep the back and sides trimmed. This will help conceal feminine features and is a particularly masculine cut.

Offline Ryuu

• detransitioned dysphoric lesbian
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »
Yeah, I actually just got it trimmed a bit on the sides and in the back, but the hair on top's not much longer. I'll let it grow out some more, I guess.

Offline spacial

• MTF wannabe
  • Family
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »
Aaron

You look fine.

Can't say any more really.

Offline Banf

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:03 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! I've always had a pretty terrible dress sense. Outfits ended up just made up of particular items that I could stand to wear (feeling like I was limited to women's clothing only), the result being nothing going together at all usually. :P
So I'm new to a lot of this, and rarely ever paid attention to/judged what looks good on other people even..

So I appreciate you lot pointing these things out for me! I do very much need a haircut, yup. And I'll look into some new frames, and stuff!
I really can't wait to lose some of the fat deposits that round out my face. :/

I dunno if the glasses shout 'girl', but they REALLY shout 'wimp', 'sensitive', all that stuff. But, [and I think this is more important than something being too girly], you don't look like a butch. If anything, you look guy-gay...ha. You're just gonna have to depend on the metrosexual generation of boys to keep your style looking 'normal', is all. Not all guys are plain in appearance--though I will say, I am myself. It's who you are. And if you pass, you don't have any reason to be super-macho.
Haha, I guess it's a good thing I like the boys. :p I know I'm probably likely to only pass as a gay guy for a while, but I think that may even help settle questions on why I look and sound kinda feminine (for a dude) while I'm in the inbetween stage, perhaps?

The first photo is really good...Serious dude..maybe tighter jeans and oversize "T" would help
Arr, that spare material at my thighs doesn't help I know, but I can't seem to find any that don't have it. ;o I got some mens "skinny fit" jeans that are actually very lose around the legs, just because I need the big hip size.
And shirt sizes vary hugely, arg! Sometimes a size small is a bit tight, sometimes it's quite baggy. But I think a medium would drown me. :o

Spacial: Ah! I didn't think about the shirt design like that.. I've been going for ones with some sort of design at the front because bumps and stuff from the binder is more noticable under a plain T, but I guess that plan backfires if it draws attention to the area instead!
You mean glasses like these? :D http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/images/beatleslennon.jpg Not sure I can pull off those + Elvis quiff, lol!

Offline Osiris

• Family
  • Gender Hybrid
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
Banf, on shirt sizes, be careful not to get anything too big. A well fitting shirt will be more complimentary than one that's too tight or too loose, both of which actually shows off more curves rather than hides them. And remember layering is your friend. A binder under a beater and then a t-shirt or a button down can make your figure appear more masculine.

As far as pants go, also try not to get them too big, this will kinda draw attention to the shape of your hips. Again, properly fitting with the right cut is the best choice. Skinny jeans are actually a pretty good choice as the ones I've seen flare out a bit at the ankle rather than go into a boot cut. This is particularly helpful at evening out the look of your legs and taking attention away from your hips.

Offline spacial

• MTF wannabe
  • Family
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »
Spacial: Ah! I didn't think about the shirt design like that.. I've been going for ones with some sort of design at the front because bumps and stuff from the binder is more noticable under a plain T, but I guess that plan backfires if it draws attention to the area instead!
You mean glasses like these? :D http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/images/beatleslennon.jpg Not sure I can pull off those + Elvis quiff, lol!

No, I want you to fit in, not look like some retro dork.

This comes from a site http://www.39dollarglasses.com/11000.html

I buy my glasses from there because it's so much cheaper than the UK. I'm not advising this place, but they have a feature where different glasses can be put onto seveal different face shapes. Also, if you look at this guy's hair, that's the sort of thing I mean.

I take your point about looking gay. But I think you will find that, if guys think you're gay they will come over to investigate. Guys only say, to other guys, they don't like gays. In reality, every guy wants to ask a gay all sorts of silly (and personal) things.

I'm just suggesting that, at this stage, you might be better trying to blend in rather than leaping out of the shadows announcing to everyone, Hey, I'm a chick that looks like a guy. How cool is that?

Wear a dark shirt, buttoned. Brown would look good and not be flashy. But no tie. Long sleaves. Tuck it in, of course. If you're worried about your hips, you might wear some waist packing, or gain some weight. But if I were to make a suggestion, don't bother.

Anyway, best of luck.

Tags: