News and Events > Bathroom News

Campus group wants <transgender> bathrooms

(1/5) > >>

LostInTime:
Link

EDMONTON — A debate is swirling at the University of Alberta over a campus campaign to promote gender-neutral washrooms for the transsexual or <transgender>.

The posters, which read "Infinite genders . . . two washrooms?" state that going to the washroom is often dangerous and stressful for <transgender>, transsexual, intersexed, androgynous, and gender-ambiguous people.

angelsgirl:

--- Quote ---"If I choose to be a vegetarian, I’m not going to expect everyone I’m hanging out with to be a vegetarian.

"It’s a choice if you practice (<transgender>) or not," Lo said.

--- End quote ---

That really blew up my battleship!

I wish people could really hear how fricken stupid they sound when they open their face-holes!  Comparing <transgender> to vegetarianism is like comparing eggplant to steak (ha ha)!  It just doesn't match up!   

Secondly, it's not a choice, diptard!  NOBODY who's TG wakes up one morning and says "You know, I think that I'm going have a sex change just for the hell of it. Hmm, yeah, all that shame and embarrassment and ridicule really sounds like something I'd like to do. Sign me up for that!"  It's like those people that think being gay is a choice. Yeah. Right.

There definately should be unisex bathrooms on campus. TG students need to be accommodated as much as any other student with a special need is.  If I have insomnia, I wouldn't be forced to have a roommate. I were a vegetarian like Dipsy Mookington up there, the cafeteria would offer meat-free food choices for me.

And that's my rampage for the day.

Steph:
For what it's worth, I think that Lo doesn't understand the term transgender.  She said that "It’s a choice if you practice (<transgender>) or not," It is true that there are aspects/lifestyles of being TG that are choices and it is unfortunate that TS's get lumped in with the definition as being TS is definitely not a choice.  The term Transgender is confusing and encompasses far to many differences under one umbrella to be effective and valid.

I was interviewed myself a few weeks ago by a representative from York University in Toronto, Ontario over this very issue.  Some of the questions were quite intriguing and many dealt with the safety issue, specifically "as a TS woman, why is there a need to have a female only washroom?".  The answer was that of safety and the need for privacy.  When a woman feels threatened or in need of help one of the areas they can seek safety is often the female washroom where other females are around who would help her.  Females socialize in the washroom and often help each other in many many ways such as borrowing sanitary items, make-up, they stand around and chat etc.

I guess for the others (CD, TV, IS etc.) before anyone could comment we would need to know why they needed to have a separate wash room as where would it end.  Would institutes such as those that offer physical fitness facilities be require to build separate changing rooms for those who attended the gyms... one for males and one for women (TS included for each) one for male CD's & TV's, and one for female CD's & TV's, then would there need to be one for those who are IS, again one for those with a genetic male body and one for the female body.

A bit of a situation.

Steph

Melissa:

--- Quote from: angelsgirl on November 06, 2006, 01:17:57 pm ---
--- Quote ---"If I choose to be a vegetarian, I’m not going to expect everyone I’m hanging out with to be a vegetarian.

"It’s a choice if you practice (<transgender>) or not," Lo said.

--- End quote ---

That really blew up my battleship!

I wish people could really hear how fricken stupid they sound when they open their face-holes!  Comparing <transgender> to vegetarianism is like comparing eggplant to steak (ha ha)!  It just doesn't match up!   

Secondly, it's not a choice, diptard!  NOBODY who's TG wakes up one morning and says "You know, I think that I'm going have a sex change just for the hell of it. Hmm, yeah, all that shame and embarrassment and ridicule really sounds like something I'd like to do. Sign me up for that!"  It's like those people that think being gay is a choice. Yeah. Right.

There definately should be unisex bathrooms on campus. TG students need to be accommodated as much as any other student with a special need is.  If I have insomnia, I wouldn't be forced to have a roommate. I were a vegetarian like Dipsy Mookington up there, the cafeteria would offer meat-free food choices for me.

And that's my rampage for the day.

--- End quote ---
You really crack me up.  The thing is, if you asked these people if they could choose to be gay or <transgender>, they absolutely could not.  Therefore it's not a choice.

Melissa

madison:
I've got to say I agree with what Steph is saying here. The notion of a <transgender> bathroom is complex and raises so many issues.

On the one hand, like Steph said, where does it end? How far down the list of subcultures do you go and make special arrangements to accomodate? This becomes especially troubling when minority groups start demanding equal time where equal representation is not present. Any effort to legislate behavior is dangerous and troubling.

But on the other hand, a gender-neutral restroom, not just the single person kind, but an actual multi-person facility is kind of a neat idea. I think it could be taken one step farther and labeled a co-ed and gender neutral bathroom. This way, people who are uncomfortable with gender specific bathrooms, or people who aren't so caught up on repressive sexual issues and privacy can all find comfort in knowing there is a restroom of tolerance!  ;D

The fact is, as difficult as some of these issues are, these are the true steps in social evolution. While I am generally opposed to legislating behavior, I see no harm in bringing a potential issue to the table. By doing so a discussion is started, and if we keep having these discussions, then maybe gender-neutral bathroom or no, maybe we'll discover a more tolerant world where, things and people that don't fit into the broad strokes of society, are still okay. Maybe the public bathroom wouldn't need to be such an awkward and potentially threatening place for some of us. If the majority of the University of Alberta find that gender-neutral bathrooms is a good idea, then it is probably good for them. If they did I would see it as a sort of victory, but I would not advocate demanding the same everywhere all the time, or worse passing laws to require it. If this University does add the bathrooms, then some other business or school may feel inspired to do the same, and that is the victory, watching change happen.

I'll be fascinated to see how this plays out, so if anybody is following this in the area, please keep us informed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version