Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Selective Service Exemption Letter

(1/7) > >>

Arch:
If you are FTM and applied for and received a Selective Service exemption letter, when did you apply, and do you remember how long it took for the letter to arrive?

When I mailed my application some seven weeks ago, I read (somewhere on the SSS site, maybe the actual form that I filled out) that it takes four to six weeks. I figured I should allow an extra week or two because of the holiday backlog and an extra week for mailing time, but I've been getting impatient. I thought I might inquire about the status of my letter, so I went back to the site today. I read that these days it's taking 135 days to get a letter. Either this notice is new or I missed it the first time around.

I guess I should have applied for the exemption earlier, but I had so much going on at the time. Now I want to apply for a Census job, but I need that exemption. I'm kicking myself. Grr.

Adio:
I'm not legally male yet so I can't answer your questions.  However, I plan to apply once I legally change my federal (social security) gender marker.

I'm sure you're aware that ftms ("those who are born female and have had a sex change", according to the selective service FAQ) are not required to register.  All federal jobs, that I know of, have three questions that go something like this:

a.  Are you a [legal] male born after December 31, 1959?     yes     no    If no, skip parts b and c.
b.  Have you registered with the Selective Service System?     yes     no     If no, go to c.
c.  If 'no', describe your reason(s) in item #n.

If push comes to shove, answer yes, no, and then explain your situation:  persons assigned female at birth are not required to register and you've applied for your SIL.  It may or may not work for you.  When I did my paperwork for the government position I was "applying" for (hospital clinicals), they were all very understanding and helped me fill everything out appropriately despite it being a rural area.

Feel free to ignore me if you know all of this already or if you are completely stealth.

Arch:
You guessed it, Adio. I don't want to divulge the reason I have an exemption, if indeed the exemption comes through. I'm living as stealth as I can.

The Census app only asks if I'm registered. If I'm not, I have to explain further down in the app. I'm not going to out myself. I'm not comfortable with that.

I have a buddy (trans) who works for the Census Bureau in the same city I do, and he says that they absolutely will not hire me till I produce an exemption letter.

JakeDenver:
You are correct. They will not hire you without your letter. I mailed my form in and it only took about 4 to 5 weeks to get my letter back. I got it yesterday. I would try to get a hold of someone at SS. I have to fax my letter to the census tomorrow.

myles:
Was just checking out the site. Can someone confirm that I read correctly and if you are over 26 you do not have to register?
Myles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version