Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Selective Service Exemption Letter

<< < (7/7)

Arch:

--- Quote from: LordKAT on April 27, 2010, 01:34:37 am ---Just thinking about this, if your BC has changed gender and been impounded, how do you prove being born female?

--- End quote ---

I would say to get a couple of certified copies of the original version (and put them in a fireproof safe or a bank safe deposit box--or, better yet, spread them around in different locations). Keep any old IDs like state IDs and/or driver's licenses and/or old passports. Put them in the safe as well. Get an official copy of your SSA activity (an SS-5 of the original application)--it will show that you started out life designated female. You can always get a new one within weeks, but it's good to have one handy. And, of course, hang onto any surgery letters you get.

LordKAT:
have no original BC, nor past ID's as the DMV takes them when you renew, never had a passport and SSA I will have to see about. When I was there I asked for the paper showing the change but they said I wasn't allowed to have a copy of that.  Still have the surgery letter tho.

Arch:

--- Quote from: LordKAT on April 27, 2010, 02:25:32 am ---have no original BC, nor past ID's as the DMV takes them when you renew, never had a passport and SSA I will have to see about. When I was there I asked for the paper showing the change but they said I wasn't allowed to have a copy of that.  Still have the surgery letter tho.

--- End quote ---

Too bad about the DMV--in my state, they just punch a hole in the license and hand it back to you. With the SSA, I couldn't get proof that I was legally male, either--I asked at the office, and they said to inquire at the main office back east; when I did that, I was told to inquire at my local office. It's stupid. But I do need proof that they actually changed the F to an M, and I haven't followed up yet. However, the SSA maintains a record of all of your transactions with them, and you can always get the SS-5 for a price. They keep your application on micro.

If a birth cert was filed for you and you haven't already changed it, order some now. The state I was born in doesn't allow a change, only an amendment. So I haven't seen the point of going down that road. Maybe the law will change someday, but I don't think it will change anytime soon. That's the South for you...

LordKAT:
Here it is amended until you have the original impounded and a new one made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version