Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Marriages and Tax Returns

<< < (3/3)

Arch:

--- Quote from: Michelle Hayden on March 23, 2010, 12:55:05 pm ---Maybe "one" that is married and not getting separated or divorced should note not to get the birth cert changed, because i would tend to think that this would be perhaps the only disqualifying issue. 
--- End quote ---

Gee, lucky me; I was born in a state that won't change my birth certificate, so I haven't even tried. Guess I'll keep that in mind if I do get hassled.

We're only filing as married this year and next. After that, the divorce kicks in and we don't need to worry about it anymore.

Meshi:
^That is the prob here..Not too many (very small %) of ppl stay married after transition unless both are bi. That is being the MTF's.  Not many if any know of any direct law objecting to this other than some article in the gov saying that they only determine marriage to be that of a "union of a man and a woman".  It does not state any particulars.  As far as getting a CPA that is a lawyer as well can be very expensive, but i do know a tax lawyer, but he doesnt file ppl's returns, but if i have an issue, after sending the finished forms in, i will def hit him up.  It is unfortunate i have or anyone has to go thru this.  I can see if i were wanting to get married to same sex, but i was married b4 this happened, so  they should acknowledge our marriage status. 

armozel:
I believe it depends on the state. For example in Kansas your chromosonal sex defines whether or not you're married (which means ftm and mtf TS' cannot marry those of their opposite sex/gender visibly). But I would call a lawyer or some legal advocacy group first to be sure in your state.

Arch:

--- Quote from: armozel on March 28, 2010, 10:29:43 am ---I believe it depends on the state. For example in Kansas your chromosonal sex defines whether or not you're married (which means ftm and mtf TS' cannot marry those of their opposite sex/gender visibly).
--- End quote ---

This sort of thing cracks me up. Unless they do a chromosome analysis, they really don't know, do they? I've also heard that in the "chromosome states," you can't get married if your chromosomes are known to be anything BUT XX or XY.

At any rate, I think I'll shoot off an e-mail to TLC and see if they can direct me to some resources. But it's getting late in the fiscal year--I think my ex and I are going to file jointly no matter what. After all, we have the marriage certificate and have been filing jointly for five or six tax years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version