Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Name change very early?

<< < (2/2)

Al James:
i say go for it. making things easier for ourselves can only be a good thing

Sage Fallon:
If it's a name you're happy with I see no reason not to get it over with sooner rather than later. It will definitely save you a lot of headachs in the future. I changed mine at 21, still fairly young, but there were still a few pains in the butt to get past. I'm glad I went through with it though. I still get calls or pieces of mail in my old name, but it's only been a little over a year, hopefully that stops after a while.

Arch:

--- Quote from: Sage Fallon on April 18, 2010, 10:57:12 am ---I still get calls or pieces of mail in my old name, but it's only been a little over a year, hopefully that stops after a while.

--- End quote ---

I was getting mail in my old name for years. It might help if you sign up on one of those anti-junk-mail agencies. I dunno. But don't expect it to stop in the next couple of years. It might not.

One thing that I think might help--if you get a catalog or a charity plea in the old name, write to the company and tell them to change the name and not share EITHER name with other companies. You can create a form letter for this and just change the date and company name/address every time. Also, keep a list of companies you write to.

It's a pain, but you can let the catalogs pile up for a week or two and then mail out letters to five or six companies at once.

ETA: Just remembered--a friend recently told me that you can call 1-800-NOTHANKS to get off specific mailing lists. Apparently, you have to tell the people which companies you don't want to hear from. But this is one way to take care of some of the mail.

LordKAT:
Or return the mail with deceased written on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version