Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Legal name change in ontario?

(1/4) > >>

Laura Emily:
I'm about to change over permanently to my new gender role and need to start changing my identification. Is anyone from Ontario aware of how I should go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Laura,

I am not from Canada, but I did a little LMGTFY and came up with this.,-Canada&id=815334

Hi Laura, I think I can help you out with some of your problems. I've been dealing with the province of Ontario concerning my birth certificate for the past few months, and today is the first time where I actually know what is going on.

Your first step, will be to download the form for an adult change of name, fill it out, and mail it to the office of the registrar general up in Thunder Bay. Pro-tip: Use Xpresspost for mailing your forms if you are concerned about missing birth certificates in the mail, or a long wait.

Step two: You will receive a form in the mail, which you have to sign and send back. The form is merely to state that you are <transgender>, and that your change of name will not be published in the Ontario Gazette (I'm not sure if anybody has ever looked at that), for privacy reasons.

Step three: The waiting. As I believe Tom Petty once said, "the waiting is the hardest part".


My experience with the government has been interesting to say the least, and definitely longer than the eight weeks they said the certificate would take. The government charged my credit card on February 16 for the cost of changing my name, which basically meant that I was approved, and my certificate would be granted. I waited and I waited... and I waited... and I waited... and today I called the office of the registrar general to ask about the status of my new birth certificate. As it turns out, my new name was approved on April 19th, and my new certificate was printed out on the 20th. I'll be receiving it in the mail probably sometime this week.

I hope it doesn't take nearly as long to receive confirmation from the government that I'm now an organ donor.

Laura Emily:
Thank you both for you replies. I appreciate it.

In Limbo...  Am I correct to assume I'll need that certificate before i can proceed with the name change at work, banks, etc?

Yes, you need your new certificate to change everything with the banks, etc. The process can take 2 months, or like my case, around 4 :(. If you need it in the near future, it's best to get started ASAP since anything can happen.

Best of luck on getting your name change Laura! Janet Lynn has graciously provided us all some great links; but for the purpose of this, all you will need is the correct form and some common sense -->

Lastly, since I forgot earlier, the Office of the Registrar General's address and toll-free help line. Contact info:

Where to mail everything:

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road, 3rd Floor
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8

Useful toll-free line which I used today to check the status of seemingly forgotten application for a name change, and other contact numbers:

In Toronto 416-325-8305
Toll-free Outside Toronto 1-800-461-2156
Fax: (807) 343-7459


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version