News and Events > Opinions & Editorials

Trans And Gay: The GID Diagnoses And "Gender Confusion"

(1/2) > >>

LostInTime:
link

It's not quite yet common knowledge in western society that there are significant differences between being a gay man and being transgender woman, but more and more people are becoming aware that being gay and being transgender are pretty far from the same thing.

However, it appears that in the collective minds of NARTH, there's barely a line between gay men and transwomen. Here's my educated guess as to why:

----------------
There is a link for the first part of the series at the bottom of this installment.  Click on the link to read the rest and to check out the first installment.

Melissa:

--- Quote from: AnomieAssassin on November 20, 2006, 10:39:25 am ---The other day in Sociology my professor was talking about the third gender in ancient societies, and I was preparing for a possible discussion about transsexuality. He concluded that the third gender was evidence of homosexuality! I questioned him about this, but in his answer he made it evident that he doesn't know what a transsexual or a <transgender> person is; he just lumped it in with homosexuality.

I can handle when people say that transsexuality is wrong or weird, because I can refute that. I simply wasn't expecting complete ignorance from someone that has a PhD in Sociology.

--- End quote ---
I personally wouldn't classify transsexuals as a "third gender", but as someone who identifies as either a female and was born male or a male and was born female.  Perhaps and androgyne might be counted as a third gender. 

Now whether we admit it or not, there are some ties between <transgender> and sexual preference.  For instance if you are interested in females and you identify as male, then your sexual preference is straight, but if your interest remains the same, but you identify as female, then your sexual preference would be lesbian.  So, in a way there is some linkage.  Also the fact that as some people transition, their preference changing also suggests additional linkage.  Now the biggest difference is they are 2 independent variables on separate scales that are linked, rather than 2 sides to the same scale as many people believe.

Melissa

Steph:

--- Quote from: LostInTime on November 20, 2006, 10:17:27 am ---link

It's not quite yet common knowledge in western society that there are significant differences between being a gay man and being transgender woman, but more and more people are becoming aware that being gay and being transgender are pretty far from the same thing.

However, it appears that in the collective minds of NARTH, there's barely a line between gay men and transwomen. Here's my educated guess as to why:

----------------
There is a link for the first part of the series at the bottom of this installment.  Click on the link to read the rest and to check out the first installment.

--- End quote ---

Are these guys for real.  I agree that being transsexual doesn't mean you're gay and visa versa.  But I would read their words with caution.  Ex-gays ?  Ya right.  Read this:

http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2005/04/the_exgay_watch.html

Steph

Posted on: November 20, 2006, 10:18:28 AM
--- Quote from: Melissa on November 20, 2006, 11:09:13 am ---
--- Quote from: AnomieAssassin on November 20, 2006, 10:39:25 am ---The other day in Sociology my professor was talking about the third gender in ancient societies, and I was preparing for a possible discussion about transsexuality. He concluded that the third gender was evidence of homosexuality! I questioned him about this, but in his answer he made it evident that he doesn't know what a transsexual or a <transgender> person is; he just lumped it in with homosexuality.

I can handle when people say that transsexuality is wrong or weird, because I can refute that. I simply wasn't expecting complete ignorance from someone that has a PhD in Sociology.

--- End quote ---
I personally wouldn't classify transsexuals as a "third gender", but as someone who identifies as either a female and was born male or a male and was born female.  Perhaps and androgyne might be counted as a third gender. 

Now whether we admit it or not, there are some ties between <transgender> and sexual preference.  For instance if you are interested in females and you identify as male, then your sexual preference is straight, but if your interest remains the same, but you identify as female, then your sexual preference would be lesbian.  So, in a way there is some linkage.  Also the fact that as some people transition, their preference changing also suggests additional linkage.  Now the biggest difference is they are 2 independent variables on separate scales that are linked, rather than 2 sides to the same scale as many people believe.

Melissa

--- End quote ---

I simply can't agree that being transsexual is a third gender as the word refers to a condition not a gender.  If it did mean a third gender then there would be a need for many more additional genders - MtF TS, FtM TS, MtF TS Lesbian, MtF TS bi, MtF TS Gay, and so on with FtM TS's  Additionally homosexualism is a sexual orientation, just as hetrosexualism, and Bisexualism is a sexual orientation.  It would be nice if these people would talk to us about who, what, and why we are TS and not hypothesize and propose their learned view all the time.

Steph

Sheila:
This is my opinion. The  line between Gay man and a Trans women, No, there is no line, It is a huge canyon between the two. I say I have been female in my mind all my life and tried to act male cause that is what my mom and society wanted. I was there to please. I know some 'transsexuals' have been attracted to women and have married women, like me I got married, but then they got tired of the denial phase and found their true selves and now feel they want a guy in their life. For me, I love my partner and I think that I have always been lesbian. I believe that if I was born with the female anatomy I would have been a lesbian. Its too bad my partner doesn't see it that way, but that is a long story. I really don't believe in the third gender, think there are only two genders in this world and that we have a blending of the two genders. Right in the middle would be the androgynous people. I don't mean bisexual. They are truely of two genders. I don't think that I'm of two genders, I'm female that had some mistakes made in the womb. Now the difference between someone who has preference to another and being of one gender is a huge difference.
Sheila

Melissa:

--- Quote from: Steph on November 20, 2006, 11:37:09 am ---
--- Quote from: Melissa on November 20, 2006, 11:09:13 am ---I personally wouldn't classify transsexuals as a "third gender", but as someone who identifies as either a female and was born male or a male and was born female.

--- End quote ---

I simply can't agree that being transsexual is a third gender as the word refers to a condition not a gender.

--- End quote ---
That's pretty much what I said Steph. :)

Melissa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version