Community Conversation > Intersex talk

New approaches for treating intersex children

(1/2) > >>

tinkerbell:

--- Quote from: article ---For the last 50 years or so, the standard treatment has been to quickly choose a gender for the child, surgically create the appropriate genitalia, then purge the medical history of any anomalies. But this doesn't always work. Take the now well-known case of David Reimer, who, after a botched circumcision, was castrated and raised as a girl, on his doctor's recommendation. After a tortured life, Reimer found out about his original gender, started living as a man, but recently committed suicide.
--- End quote ---

FULL ARTICLE

Interesting, huh kitties?

tinkerbell :icon_chick:

Dennis:
Very much. I recently saw a documentary that was somewhat dated on intersex children. I was incensed listening to these doctors talking about how important it was to surgically and hormonally "correct" children to a gender that the doctors had chosen.

The David Reimer case is one of the most heartbreaking tragedies of medical arrogance.

Dennis

Dryad:
I know that if I'd ever have a child born intersex, I would forbid the doctors to 'put it right,' giving the child their own choice after reaching 18 whether or not they wish to have a single specific gender, or wish to remain intersex. It's a hard walk, I know that, and a tough one, but I think it's ultimately the best thing you could do.

cindianna_jones:

--- Quote from: Dryad on May 07, 2007, 04:19:18 pm ---I know that if I'd ever have a child born intersex, I would forbid the doctors to 'put it right,' giving the child their own choice after reaching 18 whether or not they wish to have a single specific gender, or wish to remain intersex. It's a hard walk, I know that, and a tough one, but I think it's ultimately the best thing you could do.

--- End quote ---

Many medical professionals agree with you now.  Minor problems can be fixed, but I think that many are leaving things as they are just so the person can make the right choice when they have some life experience behind them.

Cindi

Casey:
Wow, so does that mean doctors are "giving" intersexed people the option to be intersexed from birth to death? Make no mistake, I think that's a great thing. I'm just thinking ahead to the future. If the medical community adopts a "you are what you are" attitude towards intersexed people, that acceptance may ripple out and make life better for all sorts of people.

"I'm a transsexual." "You are what you are."
"I'm gay." "You are what you are."
"I was born with a non-life threatening deformity that I don't want to 'correct'." "You are what you are."
"I like to get naked, cover myself with Spongebob Squarepants stickers, and make love in a vat of lime jello." "You are-- you are weird." (Sometimes acceptance takes a while.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version