General Discussions > Spirituality

God and Man

(1/2) > >>

Susan:
I believe in God, however I do not attend a church as I have found many are more interested in the financial and social control of their members rather than their service to God. I generally view the Bible with a skeptical eye. While the Bible's truths may have originated with God they have since been repeatedly edited to fit the viewpoints of imperfect men. I firmly believe that each person is given the ability to love God, each person is given the chance to do so, and each person must take the action to do so on their own. Not out of fear of a eternity in hell, or the wrath of a vengeful Deity. God doesn't work that way. God made us and could have made it inherently impossible for us to do anything but worship Him. God clearly did not want that as he gave man the gift of free will to be able to chose to love Him.

Our country is a place which strives to allow people to find their own way to God. We do this by keeping God out of the government and leaving Him to the people of this country. We are free to chose to worship and love our God. We are not forced to Him by sanction, deprivation, or by the force of arms.  That is how it should remain.

4years:
I’ll have you know my grandfather has quoted me 99% or 98% textual purity of the Bible.

Freedom of Religion I whole heartily agree in, and that includes not indoctrinating anyone for any reason. (Just an observation, primarily aimed at parents trying to make their children think their way)

I have a tendency to take anything man has had a hand in shaping with a grain of salt so to speak. I also tend to think one should be careful when one finds what one expected to find.

But as the saying goes, ‘Just sand in the wind’.

beth_finallyme:
I know there is a god. I have experienced her kindness.

Going to church one day a week, reading and following everything in the written by men bible and participating in organized religion, the things most believers take to be the most important mean nothing to god, absolutely nothing.

Kindness, compassion, generosity and forgiveness are what matters.

beth

Nyssa:

--- Quote from: beth_finallyme on May 25, 2005, 12:43:46 am ---

Going to church one day a week, reading and following everything in the written by men bible and participating in organized religion, the things most believers take to be the most important mean nothing to god, absolutely nothing.

Kindness, compassion, generosity and forgiveness are what matters.

--- End quote ---

I think there is a potentional of great goodness that can come from having
an experience in a congragation. Yes we can experience the devine alone, but to share it we gain strenght from others.

I have always though that the Bible shoudl not have been limited to so many books, but shoudl have been an open collection, where everyone was encouraged to add their own story to the mix. Sure some stories would not be read as often as others, but everyone's conection with gawd is important.

Nyssa

4years:
I suggest being mindful what you label things when you are with others. Not to say the divine does not exist, just that, I think, the divine is not the only source.

For what it is worth I think Kindness includes Generosity and Compassion includes Forgiveness.

Blessed are the Bodhisattva.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version