General Discussions > Judaism

Jewish and Trans?

(1/3) > >>

Shana A:
I've been reading various threads in the spirituality section, am wondering if there are any other Jewish trans people here at Susan's, whether practicing or non practicing? Or am I the only one here? :(

A little about me. I wasn't brought up in a religious household, we observed major holidays, that's all. I went to Hebrew school for a few years as a child, but dropped out before getting bar mitzvah, my choice. I'd become an atheist at age 12 and didn't see a reason to go through with the ceremony for something I didn't believe. From about age 20, I become agnostic, and over the years, explored various religions and spiritual practices including Buddhism, Sufi and pagan, to name a few. A few years ago, I become interested in exploring Judaism again, particularly Jewish renewal, and have given considerable thought about how to reconcile my Judaism with being transgender. No answers on this yet, except that I believe I was created trans for some reason.

I'm still mostly agnostic, maybe there is a g-d, maybe not, I don't know, and it's never seemed to matter much to me to know for sure. I suppose I'll find out someday  :) I do find it important to observe Jewish holidays and various customs, regardless of whether I believe in g-d or not. I've always felt that being Jewish was an important aspect of who I am as a person. In recent years I've also been attempting to learn Yiddish, although there aren't too many people to practice with in the rural area where I live.

Well, I could go on more in depth, but for now, that's enough, genug already  :)

zythyra

cindianna_jones:
zythyra,

I'm glad that you are getting in touch with your Jewish traditions.  No, I'm not Jewish.  I only say that my mother is Jewish when I hear someone knocking Jews.  But I do love the myriad of holidays and reasons to have a good meal.

I know that we've had a good knock about on religion around here lately.  But I also believe that we need protect and nurture our traditions.  We need to remember them as the rich part of our culture and history. 

Cindi

Brianna:
Yup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. :) You can join my club.

Bri

Shana A:

--- Quote ---I know that we've had a good knock about on religion around here lately.  But I also believe that we need protect and nurture our traditions.  We need to remember them as the rich part of our culture and history.
--- End quote ---

Yes Cindi. Many years ago I was at some new age event, and felt very annoyed at what I was seeing of appropriation of native American spirituality by non native people. In a lot of ways I think it's important to connect with where one comes from. Not that this is always easy, I have a lot of issues with my tradition. But it is my heritage too, and as I explore it, I find ways to make it work for me...

--- Quote ---Yup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. Smiley You can join my club.
--- End quote ---

Bri, there seems to be a strong tradition of agnostic trans Jews.  ;D I'm certainly proud to be one too...

zythyra

ChildOfTheLight:

--- Quote from: zythyra on January 16, 2007, 09:38:15 am ---

--- Quote ---Yup, that's me. Jewish, agnostic and transsexual. Smiley You can join my club.
--- End quote ---

Bri, there seems to be a strong tradition of agnostic trans Jews.  ;D I'm certainly proud to be one too...

zythyra

--- End quote ---

Can I join too?  I'm Jewish, agnostic, and androgyne (or as I once put it, in reference to a certain book and its author, "just another nice Jewish boy who grew up to be a gender outlaw."  ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version