Poll

Which branch did (do) you serve in? If you need a group added to the list just let me know, or contact a Staff member.

Army
86 (37.9%)
Navy
51 (22.5%)
Air Force
37 (16.3%)
Marines
21 (9.3%)
Special Forces
7 (3.1%)
Joint Forces
0 (0%)
Coast Guard
5 (2.2%)
Merchant Marine
0 (0%)
Silent Service (Submarines)
4 (1.8%)
Peace Corps
2 (0.9%)
Global Moderator
3 (1.3%)
Cadet/Military School
8 (3.5%)
AmeriCorps
2 (0.9%)
DoD civilian
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: Roll call!  (Read 88323 times)

Offline MichelleA

• The day I can be myself is the best day of my life
Re: Roll call!
« Reply #1040 on: November 15, 2019, 07:32:19 am »
I served in the US Navy, 1980 -1992.  First 2 years on an aircraft carrier as a jet engine mechanic and the next 10 years flying as an anti-submarine warfare operator aboard the P-3 aircraft.

Finally discovered the real ME: September 5, 2019
Started HRT: September 20, 2019
Out to my wife: October 25, 2019
Out to my closest friends and family: February 9, 2020
Out at work: July 31, 2020

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #1041 on: November 15, 2019, 07:42:56 am »
I served in the US Navy, 1980 -1992.  First 2 years on an aircraft carrier as a jet engine mechanic and the next 10 years flying as an anti-submarine warfare operator aboard the P-3 aircraft.

Thank you for your service. The P-3 was the Orion?

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline MichelleA

« Reply #1042 on: November 15, 2019, 08:24:26 am »
Thank you for your service. The P-3 was the Orion?

Hugs, Devlyn

Yes, it was the P-3 Orion.  Thank you for your service as well.

~~ Alexa

Offline Ann Jolene

• Puts a face on for the crowd
« Reply #1043 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:03 am »
 I enlisted in the USN mid '81 and first duty assignment after training was at Subase Bangor, home of the first Ohio class submarine USS Ohio SSBN 726. I became a small boat engineer for the Captain of the base.
 I then received more training and moved on to assignment with the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli LPH-10,, where I served my remaining time as a Boiler Technician. Proud to say I was an original member of the MPT aboard the Trip. During the entire experience I knew I was "different".

Motto for both vessels is "Always First" - semper princeps

My father also served in the USN from '58-'61....RIP daddy I miss you.

Thank you Dev and everybody for YOUR SERVICE and allowing me to share.

,Ann :)
Mae'n anodd byw mewn byd sy mor bel o fod yn berffaith!

Ymlaen rydyn ni'n mynd!

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #1044 on: June 02, 2020, 02:44:04 am »
Thank you for your service, Ann Jolene! I'm glad you found the thread.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline MichelleA

« Reply #1045 on: June 08, 2020, 10:26:24 am »
Hi Ann,  Welcome to Susan's and thank you for your service.  We were in the Navy pretty much at the same time.  I was in from 1980-1992.  It's great to hear from you and we'll see you around.  Take care.

Michelle

Offline Ann Jolene

« Reply #1046 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:58 pm »
Michelle,
 Thank you for the warm welcome! Seems like ages ago.... I hope life has been good to you since. You look great!
Yes, I look forward to seeing you around. Take care as well........      , Ann.  🙂

Ymlaen rydyn ni'n mynd!

Offline Ann Jolene

« Reply #1047 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:45 pm »
Hey Dev,
 I meant to hug you back. I'm also glad I found this thread.
 ,.......,Ann 😊

Ymlaen rydyn ni'n mynd!

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #1048 on: June 22, 2020, 01:49:55 pm »
Thanks to all of your for your service. :)

I'm a dual Canadian/US citizen -  USN, 2005-2010, STG2 (SW)

My time was mostly spent on FFGs (and, I was one of the very few Combat Systems rated sailors to actually work as LSE on the flight deck).

It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #1049 on: June 22, 2020, 01:58:02 pm »
Thank you for your service.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #1050 on: June 22, 2020, 03:22:33 pm »
And, thank you too, Devlyn. :)

It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #1051 on: June 22, 2020, 03:25:54 pm »

Hey Michelle...many, many thanks for your work. :)

Just curious, did you ever spend time at NAS Keflavik? (I was never stationed there, but I lived there as a dependent during those years).

Offline MxRileyQuinn

• Androgynous Coffee-Fueled Equestrian
  • HRT Date: 01 July 2019
« Reply #1052 on: July 07, 2020, 03:44:58 pm »
Hello, all!  Checking in on a recommendation from another thread.  I served in the US Air Force from Feb 2005 to Oct 2011 as a signals intelligence analyst.  I was stationed at Lackland AFB for a majority of my time in, however I also spent a year in the Republic of Korea (SKIVVY 9, Keeping the Morning Calm!), as well as a deployment with the US Army (14th MIB) to Iraq from Sept 2009 to June 2010 and another with the USAF to "Southwest Asia" (details redacted) from Aug 2010 to Jan 2011.  I've also been to Kuwait and Qatar, amongst others.  I started the whole journey at 19 as an Airman 1st Class (E-3), and ended my watch as a Staff Sergeant (E-5). 
"Hail Caffeina, goddess of the morning!"

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #1053 on: July 07, 2020, 03:49:35 pm »
Thank you for your service. Glad someone recommended this thread to you.  ;)

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline MxRileyQuinn

« Reply #1054 on: July 08, 2020, 08:50:28 am »
Thank you for your service. Glad someone recommended this thread to you.  ;)

Hugs, Devlyn

I'm glad for the recommendation as well!  I hadn't even thought about searching for a veteran's thread, lol.  Glad to be here though!

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #1055 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:53 am »
Hello, all!  Checking in on a recommendation from another thread.  I served in the US Air Force from Feb 2005 to Oct 2011 as a signals intelligence analyst.  I was stationed at Lackland AFB for a majority of my time in, however I also spent a year in the Republic of Korea (SKIVVY 9, Keeping the Morning Calm!), as well as a deployment with the US Army (14th MIB) to Iraq from Sept 2009 to June 2010 and another with the USAF to "Southwest Asia" (details redacted) from Aug 2010 to Jan 2011.  I've also been to Kuwait and Qatar, amongst others.  I started the whole journey at 19 as an Airman 1st Class (E-3), and ended my watch as a Staff Sergeant (E-5).

I was in C5F (which included Iraq) about six weeks before you were there in 2009.

Did you deploy as an IA with the Army?  Quite a few of my old shipmates did that.

Offline MxRileyQuinn

« Reply #1056 on: July 08, 2020, 09:25:52 pm »
I was in C5F (which included Iraq) about six weeks before you were there in 2009.

Did you deploy as an IA with the Army?  Quite a few of my old shipmates did that.

I was classified as a 1N4X1 Signals Intelligence Analyst, the then-equivalent to an Army 98-Charlie.  I was deployed with the 14th MIB as a HUMINT analyst, which was "technically" outside my career field...however, having worked at HQ Air Intelligence Agency I'd been read-in and trained up on HUMINT so I was able to learn the mission on-the-fly/OJT (or my preferred, training-by-fire, lol).  They technically had asked the USAF for an analyst with interrogation training, but they got me instead, and...well...let's just say it was the most interesting extended camping trip I never hope to repeat.  Years of therapy and a service dog later, my PTSD is actually rather manageable.  On the bright side, it did introduce me to a whole new world of food, and for that I'm grateful.  I also ended up smoking hookah for years afterwards, though now-days I rarely do.  Still have the hookahs though, and they're quite beautiful.

This pic is obviously pre-coming out and pre-HRT, but it was taken on my way from Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait to the Baghdad International Airport, Iraq in September 2009 as I was heading in.

Offline tgirlamg

• 11:11
  • “Gently, but with undeniable will...”
« Reply #1057 on: July 09, 2020, 01:13:14 pm »
I was classified as a 1N4X1 Signals Intelligence Analyst, the then-equivalent to an Army 98-Charlie.  I was deployed with the 14th MIB as a HUMINT analyst, which was "technically" outside my career field...however, having worked at HQ Air Intelligence Agency I'd been read-in and trained up on HUMINT so I was able to learn the mission on-the-fly/OJT (or my preferred, training-by-fire, lol).  They technically had asked the USAF for an analyst with interrogation training, but they got me instead, and...well...let's just say it was the most interesting extended camping trip I never hope to repeat.  Years of therapy and a service dog later, my PTSD is actually rather manageable.  On the bright side, it did introduce me to a whole new world of food, and for that I'm grateful.  I also ended up smoking hookah for years afterwards, though now-days I rarely do.  Still have the hookahs though, and they're quite beautiful.

This pic is obviously pre-coming out and pre-HRT, but it was taken on my way from Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait to the Baghdad International Airport, Iraq in September 2009 as I was heading in.

Welcome aboard Riley!

It is good to see I am not the only one quoting Emerson around here!

Onward!!

Ashley 🙋‍♀️💕🙏
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment” ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

“The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself” ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,210798.1520.html

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #1058 on: July 09, 2020, 03:15:13 pm »

I'm glad you're still with us. :)

I was pretty lucky in comparison....I had to float around ABOT (Al-Basra Oil Terminal) for about 3 1/2 weeks, then outchop, then inchop again for 3 1/2 weeks, and not as much happened during that time as it did on the dirt (if this were three years earlier, that would be a different story).

But, every time we sailed out, that nullified our time counted for the OIF medal, so we were never awarded that (even though, overall, we were there just as much).

(This was all before I was married with my kids.)

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2020, 12:27:55 am »
Hi Devlyn and everyone we salute you for your service !

Does DoD civilian / USG agencies & labs qualify ?

Thanks!

Holly