Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Recent posts

If I were a librarian in Alabama, I would post a sign at the library entrance stating that children under a certain age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian as required by state law. Let the parents fight the legislature for you.
Cooking / Re: What are you having for di...
Last post by LoriDee - Today at 05:18:53 PM
My favorite meal is breakfast. I hate cooking in the morning, and usually not very hungry then anyway. But I love breakfast foods. So I have breakfast for dinner. Tonight will be apple pancakes and eggs.
Member Blogs / Re: Danielle's Continuing Life...
Last post by LoriDee - Today at 05:17:06 PM
Beautiful scenery and yummy food.
And friends and shopping.
What a vacation! Thanks for sharing!
Be safe.
Cooking / Re: What are you having for di...
Last post by Maid Marion - Today at 05:16:18 PM
Takeout sushi. 
After a busy time at my office during the tax season ... especially March and
the first half of April, I am taking time off to take take a mini-vacation
and time off to take a road trip with my Tooth Fairy around the state.

Started out on Wednesday morning April 24th...
On my vacation road trip with my Tooth Fairy....
... at noon we arrived in Fairbanks.... time for shopping at a big mall
where there is a large variety of clothing and home goods that are not
readily available where we live.
We stayed the night in Fairbanks then continued on our way with our trip,
planning to comieback home on the weekend.

Thursday, April 25th:  We have been on the road all, we stopped at a
nowhere little side of the road town and checked in to a motel and now we
are getting dinner....  Turkey Club sandwich and Clam Chowder for me, and
Tooth Fairy has a Deluxe Cheeseburger and Onion Rings....

It tasted as good as it looks..... and we were hungry...
we didn't stop for lunch after we had breakfast.    I could not eat it all,
so I took the left overs into our motel and might have the rest for lunch
tomorrow.... there is a small refrigerator in the room so that is a good thing.

Lots of nice scenery today....

Friday, April 25th:  As I had mentioned, Tooth Fairy and we started out
going to Fairbanks on Wednesday .... a nice bigger city with lots of shopping that is not
available where we live.... we kinda went nuts buying clothes....  on the way
back from heading in other directions around Alaska we are going back to Fairbanks
to fill the SUV to overflowing with a final shopping trip to Costco for some
groceries and other stuff.

I will update later as my time permits....  returning home on Saturday or Sunday.

HUGS, Danielle
Alabama just got a step closer to jailing librarians who provide LGBTQ+ books

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alabama-just-got-a-step-closer-to-jailing-librarians-who-provide-lgbtq-books/ar-AA1nJAV6?ocid=windirect&cvid=763934452a144e7badcd4a9780885850&ei=81

Story by Daniel Villarreal (26 April 2024)

Alabama's legislature is advancing two censorious anti-LGBTQ bills: H.B. 130 would ban LGBTQ+ flags in classrooms and expand the state's "Don't say gay" law to include grades 6-8; H.B. 385 would jail librarians for giving "sexual or gender-oriented material" to minors without parental consent. Both bills were approved in the Alabama House of Representatives this week and now head to the state's Republican-led upper legislative chamber.

Alabama's current "Don't Say Gay" law says that K-5 classrooms "shall not engage in classroom discussion or provide classroom instruction regarding sexual orientation or gender identity in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards." H.B. 130 would also remove the section "in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards," banning LGBTQ+ discussions completely.

The H.B. 130 expansion, which passed the state House on Tuesday, would expand the law to include grades 6-8 and also prohibit "flags symbolizing sexual orientations or gender identities" in all grade school levels.

The ACLU of Alabama has spoken against the law, saying that it would silence "inclusive" and "essential" discussions among students and teachers in classrooms while violating their First Amendment rights to free speech.
Birthdays / April 26, 2024 - Member Birthd...
Last post by Northern Star Girl - Today at 03:07:07 PM
  @Julie Marie   @Jeneva   @CrystalMatthews0426   
      @rainlucien   @Crowley 

Dear Members:
  5 members Birthdays to recognize on April 26, 2024
    Wishing each of you a very Happy Birthday
          :icon_flower:  :icon_birthday:  :icon_birthday:  :icon_birthday:  :icon_flower:

What are your plans for your Birthday? 
        Dinner out with friends and family?
            Cake?  Candles?  Special trip?

On your Birthday, check your profile for a special gift...

Again, wishing you well and enjoy your special day.
Warm Regards,
Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]

Member Blogs / Re: Allie's Blog IV: Revenge o...
Last post by imallie - Today at 02:40:32 PM
Yeah, well it's wholly a product of the high quality and character of the people in my family, both sides, you know?

We've also heard from a few of the nephews on that side (there are 13 in total on that side, not sure how many have been told yet). The notes from these two were both really lovely.

By the way, I must admit to a bit of surrendering to the maudlin today.

I made a point to touch base with four of my closest friends. One whom I speak with nearly every day, so speaking to him is part of my routine. Another with whom I text with nearly daily but we can sometimes go a couple weeks without speaking - I made sure we spoke today. Another whose wife, ironically, used to call me his "other wife" because we spoke so much... we now probably talk monthly, and I called today and he said "Oh I was actually going to call you this morning I needed your advice.."

And the fourth, my college roommate, I texted him about something... and he has yet to get back to me. That's the only failure.

It felt akin to a general walking a field before a battle.

I just wanted to have one more "normal" conversation with them all before next week, likely Monday, when we share the news with them.

Again, I have no reason to expect things to blow up... but to not assume things may be different with friends is a bit foolish.

But as I said, it was just me being a bit maudlin.
Member Blogs / Re: Allie's Blog IV: Revenge o...
Last post by Oldandcreaky - Today at 02:19:46 PM
Allie, you've got a hot streak going like Joe DiMaggio times Cal Ripken.
Member Blogs / Re: The Story of Lori
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 01:04:47 PM
Lori,

Practice. Investigate.  Follow-up.   Relax. 

Good things often come in time.  May not be to your exact timetable though.

Cheers,

Chrissy